Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How much can you bench? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5110)

enkeivette 06-24-2009 01:35 PM

How much can you bench?

I was reading Joedls' sig, and missing the point entirely, I got to wondering how many Arnolds we've got on this forum. And at the same time, how many Nancys.

Let's go for how much you can do at least 5 times, not right now, but your best ever even if it was 20 years ago in high school.

I ask for 5 reps because it's harder to lie about what you can push up 5 times than what you can push up once.

SeanPlunk 06-24-2009 01:38 PM

At my best I doubt I could have ever put up more than maybe 125?

enkeivette 06-24-2009 01:47 PM

Nancy! :D:drink:

And I doubt that btw, I'm sure right now you could put up 135 only 5 times. You're prob thinking about what you did 10 times.

joedls 06-24-2009 01:48 PM

The most I ever maxed, not 5 times, but just one lift, was 325. I could do 275 for 6 reps, but that was 10 years ago. I haven't lifted weights in about 6 years.

enkeivette 06-24-2009 01:53 PM

I put up 285 five times, and I did 305 three times.

That was about a year ago, I'm way more Nancy now. I rep about 265 now. Getting old already.

BRUTAL64 06-24-2009 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly one night at Jacks I pushed 375 once. I could do about 225+ five times on a good night.

Now that I'm back on the weights full time, I'm at about 70% of Max.

I do 3 sets of 10 with 150 lbs now to help me get back in work out shape. I'm working on form as opposed to bulk at this time. Bulk training is in about another 6 months.

I only have about 160 lbs at this time.:drink:

What is surprising me here is how my body is reacting to full weight sets now. It's like I never stopped.
Darlene has already had to buy me bigger shirts cause I can't button my older shirts across the chest anymore. Not bad for my advance years.

BRUTAL64 06-24-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 25512)
I put up 285 five times, and I did 305 three times.

That was about a year ago, I'm way more Nancy now. I rep about 265 now. Getting old already.

Show off!:smack:

Douglas Mariani 06-24-2009 04:24 PM

I gave up weight training 20 years ago......Now I just carry a gun....legally:p

94cobra69ss396 06-24-2009 04:25 PM

Wow, you guys can lift a lot. The most I ever benched once was 210 at my friends gym because I only had 180 for my set at home. I later tested with that and benched it 12 times was all.

BRUTAL64 06-24-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 25532)

You would be really scary all buffed out.:rolling::drink:

SoCalC55 06-24-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25507)

haha hell yes :thumbs_up:

Douglas Mariani 06-24-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 25535)
You would be really scary all buffed out.:rolling::drink:

About 2 months ago Beth and I started walking.We walk 1.7 miles in the morning and again in the evening.I figured it was time to get back in shape when I was out of breath from just walking to the mailbox.:smack:

Leedom 06-24-2009 06:32 PM

Back when I was playing ball I maxed at about 335. I know for sure I could do 275 for 5 reps.

Leedom 06-24-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25507)

:iagree:

Simply... you are a puss!

BRIAN 06-24-2009 06:57 PM

Did 225 when I played football in high school, lifting weights is boooooooring haha. Arms are on the jiggly side these days.

Vettezuki 06-24-2009 07:27 PM

205 for 5 when I weighed about 165. Now I weigh 205 and probably couldn't do 3. :( Turns out not exercising much and drinking negatively affects muscular development.

Vettezuki 06-25-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 25532)

Vin Diesel carries two . . . . . bad-assly.

That's for you enkei.

Leedom 06-25-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 25567)

That's for you enkei.

:laugh:

Douglas Mariani 06-25-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

That's for you enkei.

Doesn't he have an identical twin brother?

BRUTAL64 06-25-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

That's for you enkei.

Darlene is a BIG Vin fan. I'll send her that picture.:smack:

BRUTAL64 06-25-2009 09:23 AM

Four Vin pictures in a row. Someone is going to be happy.:sm_up_there:

enkeivette 06-25-2009 11:30 AM

I would guess that's from Pitch Black. Prob ones of Vin's best roles.

enkeivette 10-07-2010 01:14 AM

I put up 295 nine times about a month ago. Hells. Yeah.

And I went for a tenth, and suddenly realized I didn't have a spotter, and yes I dropped it on my chest and someone ran over. Hahahaha. I guess the stronger I get the dumber I get.

And I'm only 190lbs right now, pretty lean. When I was 220 my arms were a lot stronger but I couldn't bench that much. I've been doing mainly hypertrophy since June.

Vettezuki 10-07-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 60550)

And I went for a tenth, and suddenly realized I didn't have a spotter, and yes I dropped it on my chest and someone ran over. Hahahaha. I guess the stronger I get the dumber I get.

And I'm only 190lbs right now, pretty lean. When I was 220 my arms were a lot stronger but I couldn't bench that much. I've been doing mainly hypertrophy since June.

Hypertrophy?

I started to change my work out, such as it is a about a week ago. I wanna get buff just like you. That way the next time I get in a debate over Hobbesean fallacies I can just flex while my opponent is trying to make his points.

enkeivette 10-07-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 60551)
Hypertrophy?

I started to change my work out, such as it is a about a week ago. I wanna get buff just like you. That way the next time I get in a debate over Hobbesean fallacies I can just flex while my opponent is trying to make his points.

Haha, I'm not buff. Getting there mm by mm every year though. It's difficult if you're not on steroids. Every buff guy I have ever talked to has admit using steroids. I was even talking to this guy a few months ago in the gym, asking for some advice. And he gives me his routine (which I'm thinking in my head is woefully insufficient) and then he finishes off by saying "...and you gotta juice it." :sm_laughing: Nice, thanks buddy.

Bennn, you need to PUUUMP, so we can be SUPER BUFF CLLLONNNESSS, and we can make a SUPER SHASH HIT MOVIE! HE YAR.

Hypertrophy is what you do for size. Dating a doctor of physical therapy for two years has taught me A LOT about working out. I used to think, lift heavy weight low reps for size, maybe 12-15 sets, and lift lighter weight a bunch of times, same amount of sets, for definition. WRONG. We can chat and I will share some info with you.

enkeivette 10-07-2010 11:25 AM

enkeivette 10-07-2010 11:29 AM

Btw, I fully believe, with genetics as a limiting factor, without steroids you can never really get super huge.

I mean, 275lbs might be attainable for the 6'4" Norweigan working out next to you with hands as big as lobsters, but for most guys in the average height range, low 200s is all you'll be able to do naturally. Sad truth.

94cobra69ss396 10-07-2010 11:41 AM

Ben, Adams secret to his increase in strength is from carrying all those law books for the past few years. You just need to go back to school.

enkeivette 10-07-2010 11:45 AM

And I meant 275/ low 200s personal weight, not bench weight.

blackax 10-07-2010 03:05 PM

Well if you just want to get "bigger" with out getting that much stronger there is this Russian's" Push-Up Regime that really works

Quote:

Here's what the workout looks like. I'll post it - it's a bit long so be prepared. Interesting reading though. I've got a few questions so scroll down to the bottom, after reading it, and respond to them, if you get a moment.

Here we go:

Before the bench press was a twinkle in some early powerlifter's eye, the push up was the true measure of a person. A hundred separated the men from the boys; the women from the girls. Still does. How will you rate?

Pretty good if you follow my program.

All right, so you're not planning to join the marines- your loss, their gain- so why should you bother giving me a hundred? Because, if you train the right way, this push-up drill will fill out your pecs, delts & tri's faster than a jarhead recruit can clean a latrine with his toothbrush.

Where heavy resistance training builds the contractile proteins, high-volume, low intensity loading, such as push-ups, kick other wheels of the muscles machinery into growth. The volume of sacroplasm goes up. Mitochondria, the muscle cells' energy plants, get buff. Capillaries spread their tentacles throughout the muscle.

Even though capillaries make up but a fraction of a muscle's girth they serve a VIP function in bulking your myofibrils, or "real muscle", when you get back to heavy training. Here's how it works:

A 1995 British study by Schott et al., concluded that greater exposure of muscle cells to various metabolites, or "muscle engine exhaust fumes", leads to greater gains in strength & mass. It has been suggested by some experts that the more extensive a muscle's vascularity, the more the muscle will be soaked in intra-muscular metabolites & growth factors, & the more it will grow.

At least up to a point. According to Soviet research (Zalesskiy & Burkhanov, 1981), vascular network development generally can not keep up with muscle growth. So if you want to keep on growing beyond the easy first gains, you must find a way of developing your vascular network.

This is where super high reps come in. In 1986, Luthi et al., discovered that heavy training has no effect on capillarization. In 1984, Tesch et al., added that Olympic weightlifters & other athletes who favour low-rep training with long rest periods display capillary density that is even lower than that of untrained subjects! The same year, Sjoogard stated that enhanced capillarization is the result of endurance training. (Could explain why your legs gain mass so much easier than your arms?)

The evil Russian’s “hit the deck” program

WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test

The program outlined in the chart above is self-explanatory. Just drop & give me a specified percentage of your last personal best at given time intervals throughout the day. For instance, if you managed 50 push-ups on your test, do 25 on the day that calls for 50% relative intensity. On Mondays, test yourself for one set & do east sets for the rest of the day. You are going to love the constant pump!

Time the breaks between your sets, but you do not have a fit if you missed your date with the concrete here & there. Make it up if you can; do not sweat it if you cannot. Do your sets from the time you get up until an hour before you go to bed. Naturally, most comrades with a real job will have a couple of gaps in their day when they cannot drop & pump out push-ups. Do not worry about it; just gets back on schedule when the boss looks the other way.

Note that you are only supposed to go to the limit once a week. High rep sets to exhaustion are a lot more dangerous than they look. Tension in the stabilising muscles is inadequate to protect the joints & the connective tissues; the latter really get it in the shorts. So do not mess with the outline; stay well within your ability except on test days! Do not worry, you’ll make great gains without collapsing on the last rep, dripping in sweat & making macho faces.

The prescribes regimen requires that you say no to any other upper-body work with the exception of pull-ups or chin-ups. Either of these military favourites will hit the muscles missed by the push-ups & balance out your deltoids.

A word on push-ups for reasons other than getting buff or becoming one of the few good men. Push-ups are no good for strength unless you can merely manage a couple. The time-honoured push-up, however, is useful for developing shoulder endurance for sports such as boxing.

jedhead 10-07-2010 03:38 PM

I checked off 170 - 195 class. When I was in my top physical condition (active duty Navy) I lifted weights, but I concentrated on performing many reps over how much weight I can lift. I recall I did about 40 reps 10 at a time of my own weight which was 185 at the time for bench presses. The weight training equipment I used were machines not free weights. I spent much more of my time running and performing calisthenics (I hated flutter kicks the most) which I preferred over lifting weights. I am no where near the 8 to 9% body fat that I was then. I did a minimum of 3 hours of PT three days a week, 1.5 hours of PT three days a week and ran about 35 miles every week. Sundays were the only days I did not work out. Some weeks I did much more training depending on how sadistic my trainer was feeling.
Now I have creaky knees that sound like rice krispies most days and stiff joints.

Bob

Chuck 10-07-2010 05:02 PM

I checked 225 but that was 4 years ago now I am fat and lazy I probably couldn't put up 165 ten times.

BADDASSC6 10-12-2010 06:45 PM

I put up 370 in April on this year. I haven't been lifting at all, but I did go to the gym about a month ago and put 315 up for 3 sets of five. When I was 21 I weighed 180 and was benching 335. I'm on a submarine so the workouts are none existent. I am up to ~235 right now:barf:.

94cobra69ss396 10-12-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 60901)
I am up to ~235 right now:barf:.

Ya, but things are lighter in water.

Vettezuki 10-12-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 60576)
. . . Bennn, you need to PUUUMP, so we can be SUPER BUFF CLLLONNNESSS, and we can make a SUPER SHASH HIT MOVIE! HE YAR. . . .

Probably before your time. Click on the header, the video is not embedding properly.

My diet ain't so hot, namely alcohol, which is a terrible thing to do if you're really trying to get fit. It messes up testosterone production and and interferes with the actual process of building new muscle fiber.

enkeivette 10-12-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 60901)
I put up 370 in April on this year. I haven't been lifting at all, but I did go to the gym about a month ago and put 315 up for 3 sets of five. When I was 21 I weighed 180 and was benching 335. I'm on a submarine so the workouts are none existent. I am up to ~235 right now:barf:.

You're not going to lose 80lbs of strength in a month.

BADDASSC6 10-12-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 60910)
You're not going to lose 80lbs of strength in a month.

I didn't. I now weigh 235 lbms versus my normal 215lbms. I can still push 335 no problem after a warm-up.

enkeivette 10-12-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 60911)
I didn't. I now weigh 235 lbms versus my normal 215lbms. I can still push 335 no problem after a warm-up.

Ooo, I thought you were talking about your bench weight. I'm 188 right now! I've never in my life been this light and this strong. :D

enkeivette 03-20-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 60550)

Damn, Ive gotten stronger recently so I came back to see if I could do what I did when I was 26... nope!

How the fuck did I bench 295 nine times?? Ha! Im at 275 eight times now.

Vettezuki 03-20-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 112482)
Damn, Ive gotten stronger recently so I came back to see if I could do what I did when I was 26... nope!

How the fuck did I bench 295 nine times?? Ha! Im at 275 eight times now.

Pussy.

AFIK, peak power for men (who develop it) is actually in their 30s, 40s, even 50s. . Speed is teens through 20s. Peak brains? I'm going with 40+ at least and a bit hit and miss. Probably a function of free testosterone.