Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Import (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2012 GT-R is a bad mofo (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32027)

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 02:22 AM

2012 GT-R is a bad mofo

I've talked some shit on the GT-R in the past. But if this (and the Ring time) are indicative of what this car can do stock from the factory, it's kind of on its own level for total value.

Damian 09-14-2011 09:00 AM

Damn!

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 04:35 PM

Unfortunately, they've somehow managed to make it even less interesting to look at it seems. That rear quarter panel is like looking at a piece of sheet metal. It may look much nicer in person. :huh:

xSpeedAddictX 09-14-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 83058)
Unfortunately, they've somehow managed to make it even less interesting to look at it seems. That rear quarter panel is like looking at a piece of sheet metal. It may look much nicer in person. :huh:

I agree and Nissan also managed to ruin the fun you can have by voiding the warranty if you decide to actually use the car more than a few times.

On another note, when did this air?

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSpeedAddictX (Post 83062)
I agree and Nissan also managed to ruin the fun you can have by voiding the warranty if you decide to actually use the car more than a few times.

Don't know when it aired, just picked it up on YT. What do you mean they void the warranty if you drive it more than a few times? I remember the infamous voiding of the warranty if you turned off whatever that mode was in the first year and they had several transmissions break . . at like $18k replacement.

dreamcast18 09-14-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

false. they don't do that anymore. launch all you want on the GTRs..it only restrict u after a couple of launches to cool down.

dreamcast18 09-14-2011 07:14 PM

my buddy's..

xSpeedAddictX 09-14-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 83071)
Don't know when it aired, just picked it up on YT. What do you mean they void the warranty if you drive it more than a few times? I remember the infamous voiding of the warranty if you turned off whatever that mode was in the first year and they had several transmissions break . . at like $18k replacement.

by "Actually use the car" I do mean enjoy its full power potential. I was indeed referring to the VDC control which if turned off too many times it would void your warranty. In order to actually hit 0-60 in the 3.4(?) seconds you would have to turn off VDC.

I did read that they have fixed the problem. So I will admit to prematurely bashing the GT-R. I can't say I am or will be in the market so I never really followed up on the issue till now. My mistake.

xSpeedAddictX 09-14-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamcast18 (Post 83077)
false. they don't do that anymore. launch all you want on the GTRs..it only restrict u after a couple of launches to cool down.

Yup I saw that. ^ My mistake

SeanPlunk 09-14-2011 09:08 PM

kdracer73 09-14-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

This Monday. Just watched it on DVR. Clarkson did a cool skid pad test, and his face was pulled to one side. Looked like a stroke.

Vettezuki 09-14-2011 10:45 PM

Side question, is Nissan still owned by Renault at all?

jedhead 09-15-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 83098)
Side question, is Nissan still owned by Renault at all?

43% owned by Renault. Nissan has 15% of Renault stock.

Bob

Kozak 09-25-2011 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 83095)

this whole motortrend piece was really entertaining, I enjoyed the videos and the write up as well:thumbs_up:

mdpalmer 10-20-2011 05:44 PM

Badmofo fo sho. Seems like the car can drive itself. How fun is that? Guess that depends on the individual. You'd probably feel like superman after driving one of these. As far as looks, they are much better in person, they have a muted but commanding presence. They're kinda huge. Don't make much noise, I had one blow by me on the freeway once and it was actually not that loud. I like them and think they are incredibly capable, but it's not my cup of tea... at all.

Shaolin Crane 10-20-2011 11:22 PM

Agree, i'll take bruteness over form any day, z06 for me plz

Vettezuki 10-21-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 85312)
Agree, i'll take bruteness over form any day, z06 for me plz

With some scratch you can have it all. The F458 is at or above the ZR1 for performance (depending on what you're doing) and is simply a different universe of elegance, refinement, fit and finish, etc. The greatness of the American muscle car, and the Vette as sports car, is the level of performance it puts within the reach of the working man.

Shaolin Crane 10-21-2011 08:10 AM

But i have no ability to work on a ferrari, besides, head work, cam, intake and exhaust will net well over 650rwhp for not a whole lot of coin. I'd rather go that route.

Vettezuki 10-21-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 85325)
But i have no ability to work on a ferrari, besides, head work, cam, intake and exhaust will net well over 650rwhp for not a whole lot of coin. I'd rather go that route.

There was a Lingenfelter H&C kit that took the ZO6 to 630~ BHP, 650 WHP would be OVER 200 HP above stock on the same displacement; nearly 50% increase in WHP(!!!). The cam would have to be absurd, making it stupid to drive on the streets. A procharger kit,etc., would be the better way to go to maintain sensible street manners.

Now I'm going to say something crazy, and maybe it's because I'm a grown up now, there really is more to life in a car than WHP. :smack:

GTTS > Some 10-21-2011 11:53 AM

Nice Car

thanks for the post, this is a great car, if you dupe up the transmission it costs 20k a copy to buy a new trans.

Chate 10-29-2011 12:34 PM

amazing...the multicar drag race video is awesome too, it reminds me of my dad saying "no matter how fast you are, somewhere, someone else is faster"...the 1M is plenty fast for a normal human being...but the gtr is insanity

mdpalmer 11-23-2011 02:32 PM

GTTS > Some 11-23-2011 05:10 PM

Wow, that is mind twisting.

I have run against a few GTR's in my DATSUN-G-37, and not been disappointed on my end. I have tried to test drive a few of them at the dealership's, and got the "Your not worthy" game. So I don't have a true bench mark feel real time for the GTR. Nice video link, thanks for this film. Take care a have a wonderful holiday season.

BADDASSC6 11-23-2011 05:43 PM

There was only one GTR that was close the last time at the track. I actually thought he was faster overall, but the absolute fastest laps I had him every time.

Vettezuki 11-23-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 87370)
There was only one GTR that was close the last time at the track. I actually thought he was faster overall, but the absolute fastest laps I had him every time.

Was he tuned or fairly stock? Just tires maybe . . .

If a fairly stock GT-R is up with your Vette and your driving at all, that's fucking impressive to me.

BADDASSC6 11-23-2011 06:38 PM

No not stock. Turbo brake suspension upgrades on hoosiers.

mdpalmer 11-28-2011 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

:laugh:

fiveohwblow 11-28-2011 03:14 PM

Damn that puts it in perspective.

Vettezuki 11-28-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdpalmer (Post 87706)

:laugh:

The thing is ginormous. It's part of why I'd take the Turbo Porsche over it anyday, performance is near identical, more refinement including a ride that you can live with, and about half the size.