Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   93 GMC Typhoon (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31954)

Damian 09-12-2011 09:47 PM

93 GMC Typhoon

After a long day of many obsticles to get through, I finally did it.

But, before I left, I noticed the fuel gauge was on empty! Bastards could have at least filled it up.

Just ordered MSD cap and rotor, NGK plugs, MSD ignition coil, Monroe shocks (front and rear). Already has a K&N filter and Taylor wires. I just need to do the fluid changes and Im ready for my trip to NE next week.

SeanPlunk 09-12-2011 10:19 PM

Awesome - I love Typhoon's. Post more pics :)

Damian 09-13-2011 12:02 AM

If you guys have a meet when I'm OFF, you can see it in person. But I'll try and get some more pics up soon. I'm going to wax it like I've never waxed before and then do more pics.

Cars and Coffee is a must once I get back from my trip as well. Haven't been there in quite a long time, so I'm due for my exotic fix anyways.

94cobra69ss396 09-13-2011 07:19 AM

I love those trucks! What are your plans for it besides a tune up?

silverscmustang 09-13-2011 09:21 AM

very nice! my friend has a syclone and that thing handles amazingly for a truck.

Damian 09-13-2011 01:05 PM

I'm going to do the suspension and brakes for sure. Energy suspension and Moog are going to like me. Rear drum to disk conversion.

I'm not sure if I want to put a better heat exchanger for the liquid to air intercooler or just do a FMIC. I'll also be doing a "CAI" for it since the stock tube comes over the top of the radiator. I'd like to do the TD06 upgrade, but I'll have to do trans work along with axles. I'll probably do all that but later on.

I also will be installing my AEM Truboost and AEM wideband, probably tomorrow. Im just waiting for my gauge pod to come in.

Shaolin Crane 09-13-2011 01:40 PM

Dont do to it what i did with my truck, trans medley

duhveed 09-13-2011 04:56 PM

nice! I wanna get the syclone one day

Damian 09-13-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 82942)
Dont do to it what i did with my truck, trans medley

On the list of goals I have with this truck, that's not one of them. Meaning, it will happen to me whether I like it or not, whether I'm ready for it or not.

Damian 09-14-2011 03:47 PM

Getting the alignment and filling the tires with nitrogen right now.

Damian 09-18-2011 12:57 AM

The one thing that sucks about working on older vehicles is that none of the nuts and bolts want to come off. Progress is good on the maintenance but I'm still waiting for parts to come in and I still need to get my steering shaft.

Vettezuki 09-18-2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 83266)
The one thing that sucks about working on older vehicles is that none of the nuts and bolts want to come off. Progress is good on the maintenance but I'm still waiting for parts to come in and I still need to get my steering shaft.

PB Blaster like it was free and let it sit for a while, at least several minutes, but even hours. Then (if you can) give the bolt head a little whack with a metal hammer. Basically you're just breaking the welded bond formed by the rust.

Sometimes heating with a torch pouring a little water will also break a bond. I'm hesitant with this one because it can crack.

And if the shit gets real, a hammer impact tool will break anything loose. I've got one if you need to borrow, plus some "easy outs". You live close.

Damian 09-18-2011 08:48 AM

I use WD-40 like it's going out of style. Sometimes an impact gun just won't fit, and that sucks! I'm going to pick up one of those little propane torches here soon, I've used that method a few times in the past with success, especial with some bearing removals.

Shaolin Crane 09-18-2011 10:34 AM

Stop being a namby pamby you jackwaggon and put some balls behind a wrench :laugh:

Damian 09-18-2011 11:22 AM

Lmao! Get that fucking Muffstain done!

I'm doing everything while I'm at work and I'm not in a position to break any studs or anything at that. If I was at home, I'd just use a breaker bar and call it a day.

Vettezuki 09-18-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 83273)
I use WD-40 like it's going out of style. Sometimes an impact gun just won't fit, and that sucks! I'm going to pick up one of those little propane torches here soon, I've used that method a few times in the past with success, especial with some bearing removals.

PB Blaster is far more effective at dissolving rust related issues. I'm talking about a hammer impact, I don't even know what the torque is, it's way higher than a standard impact. It will pop things loose a pneumatic impact won't. But you have to have enough room to swing a hammer.

Damian 09-18-2011 07:11 PM

The impact gun I have is 260 or 280ft lbs. It works good if I can get it in there. I need to get one of those impact swivels or whatever they are called. Those hammer impacts are awsome, we use them here at work sometimes.

Damian 09-18-2011 11:11 PM

I installed my AEM Truboost and it made a world of difference. I can't go over 11psi without it running weird. Not sure if it's a boost leak or a bad O2 sensor. I just bought a new O2 sensor and I'll do a boost leak test tomorrow.

Damian 11-14-2011 03:13 AM

About 2 weeks ago the truck got too hot going up the Grapevine. Ended up changing the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap and a flush. Ran good after that, then it started smoking a couple of days later after I did an oil change. I ran 5w30 instead of 10w30 and I thought that was the issue. Added some Lucas oil additives and smoking damn near went away. Only smoked when I took off from a dead stop. Then it just started smoking all the time. Did a compression check and all cylinders had 155-160psi but one. That one only had 35psi and the spark plug had oil all over it. So now I'm in the middle of an engine tear down. I guess this is quite common for these trucks if they get a bit too warm. Sad part is, I just lost my job a week and a half ago too. So no crazy spending for me. Hopefully the damage is minimal (key word "hopefully") and I can just buy a rebuild kit for the bottom end and buy a new block later on and build that one up.

Anyone know how good Sealed Power kits are? I'm looking at this kit: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MKP-6371A000

94cobra69ss396 11-14-2011 07:38 AM

Sorry to hear that. Most likely the issue you have is a blown head gasket and possibly a warped head. When you get it apart check the head surface.

As for the Sealed Power kit from Summit, that's what I used on the 454 in Chevelle. I bought the complete kit that came with pistons and I have 6 years of racing on it. In those 6 years all I've done is replaced blown head gaskets once and did a valve job about a year ago. I've been happy with mine.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 08:30 AM

Sealed power kits are fine. Call the guys at pacific engine, chances are they can get it cheaper, see sig for number.

94cobra69ss396 11-14-2011 11:04 AM

I second that, they made me a good deal on the parts and work on the 5.0 for the Explorer.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 11:10 AM

I talked to them about it and they said its about $60-$70 for a single piston, and not to try a re-ring on that piston. Shawn says the best bet for a rebuild is a set of probe fps forged pistons so you can up the boost safely.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 11:13 AM

Pistons here

http://www.coasthigh.com/Chevy-350-4...s-p/p2256f.htm

Damian 11-14-2011 11:55 AM

I'm not really looking to up the boost for awhile, I have other things that I want to work on first. I am glad to hear that Sealed Power is a good setup. If it's just the head gasket, which I doubt it is, I'll pick up some Cometic gaskets then. My luck is never that simple though.

Now would be a good time to have my intake manifold powder coated. I'd also like to do my fuel rails (stock setup is stupid IMO), and the fpr.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 12:02 PM

What color on the intake?

Damian 11-14-2011 12:05 PM

I'll try and find a pic of how I want it, but I want it all silver with the lettering in red.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 12:08 PM

Alright, im about to order some silver so let me know

Damian 11-14-2011 01:00 PM

I need to clean the internal parts first, they are full of oil from blowing out the PCVs. What kind of silver do you have? I wonder what a wrinkle silver would look like??

Damian 11-14-2011 01:09 PM

I want to do my intercooler and tb as well, just have to get new gaskets for the tb though, but they are cheap.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 01:12 PM

I wouldnt coat the intercooler. The silver im going to order is called bright silver flake. Basically wheel silver and is a 70% gloss. I'll clean everything for you as I need to do it before and after anyhow. Did it to rons stuff and it all came out primo.

Damian 11-14-2011 05:05 PM

It's a liquid intercooler, powder coat shouldn't hurt it, I wouldn't think so. I could be wrong though.

I need to clean all the oil and build up on the insides so you don't catch your oven on fire. I'll do it, it's no big deal. PM me a price.

Damian 11-14-2011 05:12 PM

Throttle body, intercooler, and upper intake mani.

Lower intake mani (still on the motor)

PM me your number and I'll call you later tonight. I have some questions for you anyways.

Shaolin Crane 11-14-2011 05:55 PM

What i mean by i'll do it it needs to be clean cause the glass bead will stick to it. Its no charge since its part of my process. I have a hot tank so its non effort. I wash it to make sure everything is clean, then blast it, the wash it again, Then pre clean then a pre bake then the final.

Damian 11-15-2011 01:04 AM

I need to call Pacific Engine right?

Shaolin Crane 11-15-2011 01:42 AM

Yessir

Damian 11-15-2011 02:45 AM

Anyone specific I need to talk to?

Shaolin Crane 11-15-2011 08:26 AM

Nope, only 2 guys there either knows whats up.

Damian 11-15-2011 03:41 PM

Talked to them today, gave me a good price. Now I just need to save up some cash and pull everything out.

Shaolin Crane 11-15-2011 03:58 PM

Good to hear, i also ordered the powder last night. Should be here friday.