Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   My next mod (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002)

BlacknBoostn 12-23-2008 12:28 PM

My next mod

Just picked up a Borla/Mopar catback for the ride.. going on soon I hope! Picked this up for a STEAL. Stay tuned...

exhaust is 2.5" piping all the way through, 4" tips... exhaust is painted black and I haven't decided officially if I will touch up the black with High Temp paint or strip the tips and polish back to their original sheen... should be a nice little power adder for my stock turbo and make a huge sound difference... next meet i'll have her hood popped! Maybe even a new BOV...

I'll post up some pictures of the installation, really interesting design, all slip jointed, no bolts or flanges anywhere. slip it on and clamp it down! Should be a breeze. exhaust is light, less than 25-30 lbs.

SeanPlunk 12-23-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 11247)
Just picked up a Borla/Mopar catback for the ride.. going on soon I hope! Picked this up for a STEAL. Stay tuned...

exhaust is 2.5" piping all the way through, 4" tips... exhaust is painted black and I haven't decided officially if I will touch up the black with High Temp paint or strip the tips and polish back to their original sheen... should be a nice little power adder for my stock turbo and make a huge sound difference... next meet i'll have her hood popped! Maybe even a new BOV...

I'll post up some pictures of the installation, really interesting design, all slip jointed, no bolts or flanges anywhere. slip it on and clamp it down! Should be a breeze. exhaust is light, less than 25-30 lbs.

Tyler, I know the SRT doesn't have mufflers (resonators), so how much difference power wise does it actually make?

BlacknBoostn 12-23-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 11251)
Tyler, I know the SRT doesn't have mufflers (resonators), so how much difference power wise does it actually make?

It should be good for about 8-12whp, the Borla/Mopar design offers increased exhaust flow, eliminates some of the bends along with larger diameter piping. 2.25 up to 2.5 (almost bought a 3in exhaust from the turbo back but this was such a steal I couldn't turn it down).

The SRT does have two resonators, just no mufflers... the Borla/Mopar eliminates one of the resonators.

http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...oducts_id=1251

Link to back it up.. you can see the dyno sheet along with the stock and mopar exhaust, very easy to see that the Borla/Mopar one has a better design...

That 3in turbo back is still in the sights but this will be a good start for my stock turbo!

youtube video..

94cobra69ss396 12-23-2008 04:01 PM

You'll probably make more HP with the 2.5 as your car sits right now anyways. I think the 3 inch will be too big until you get some more mods.

BlacknBoostn 12-23-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11277)
You'll probably make more HP with the 2.5 as your car sits right now anyways. I think the 3 inch will be too big until you get some more mods.

Exactly what I was thinking myself... i'm on stock boost, stock turbo, stock stock stock. When i go with a ported turbo or s3 turbo i'll upgrade to 3in :) only way it'd help now is for mileage haha...

Vettezuki 12-23-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 11317)
Exactly what I was thinking myself... i'm on stock boost, stock turbo, stock stock stock. When i go with a ported turbo or s3 turbo i'll upgrade to 3in :) only way it'd help now is for mileage haha...

I sure as heck don't understand all the combustion theory and engine dynamics, but it does seem one of the most commonly overdone mods for I4s is an overly large exhaust. As I understand it, the problem is excessively reducing cylinder back pressure, thus torque and finally power.

big2bird 12-24-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 11320)
I sure as heck don't understand all the combustion theory and engine dynamics, but it does seem one of the most commonly overdone mods for I4s is an overly large exhaust. As I understand it, the problem is excessively reducing cylinder back pressure, thus torque and finally power.

Urban myth BS.;)

BlacknBoostn 12-24-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Too true...

3in piping should only be for boosted cars! If I was running a BIG turbo like a GT35R or bigger... THEN a 3-4in piping might be beneficial.

Till then, this will do the job nicely :) one thing is for sure, SRTs have lots of power to free up!

BRUTAL64 12-24-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 11345)
Urban myth BS.;)

Yep, I was going to say that. You DO NOT want back pressure on any kind. :bigthumbsup:

BRUTAL64 12-24-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Ok, why would want any back pressure? That ONLY causes the the in coming charge to be reduced. Thus less power. :motorsmile:

94cobra69ss396 12-24-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 11390)
Ok, why would want any back pressure? The ONLY causes the the in coming charge to be reduced. Thus less power. :motorsmile:

So what you're saying is that if I put a 5 inch exhaust on my 160hp Explorer it will make more power than if I put a 2.5 inch one on? Does that also mean that I will make more power if I go to a bigger exhaust than the 2.5 that I have on my 500hp Cobra?

BRUTAL64 12-24-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11392)
So what you're saying is that if I put a 5 inch exhaust on my 160hp Explorer it will make more power than if I put a 2.5 inch one on? Does that also mean that I will make more power if I go to a bigger exhaust than the 2.5 that I have on my 500hp Cobra?

Well, anything is possible. I'm saying that from what all I have learned over the years is; back pressure kills horse power. Now if someone wants to show me that this is wrong I'm all ears.:D

Vettezuki 12-24-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 11410)
Well, anything is possible. I'm saying that from what all I have learned over the years is; back pressure kills horse power. Now if someone wants to show me that this is wrong I'm all ears.:D

I'll see if I can look it up from someone who actually knows. The way it was explained to me, it had to do with cylinder pressure affected by the back pressure in the exhaust line. Cylinder pressure relates to torque. Certainly it's not a matter of maximizing back pressure either, its just that reducing it as much as possible (like taking your manifolds off) isn't the right thing to do either. There's a balance point depending on the rest of your motor setup. Spooling up a turbo adds another complex parameter.

I think Top Fuel Dragsters and funny cars run stepped headers. That is smaller diameter off the block going to larger diameter down line, specifically for maximizing this effect. Or at least that's what I thought. They have the room to run larger straight pipes right off the block. So why don't they? :huh:

I'm looking for headers and they typically come in 1 3/4 vs. 1 7/8. They explicitly say don't go to the larger size, until you're making very considerable horsepower, like beyond 500whp to the wheels in a SBC/V8 like setup. The costs are the same. Why would manufacturers make and distributors stock different size headers for the exact same car. Is it just marketing BS?

There's got to be some good docs, maybe with dyno comparisons according different exhaust setups on the same basic setup.

94cobra69ss396 12-24-2008 03:06 PM

If that were the case then everyone would be running the largest header they could fit on their car. Back when I had the 396 in the Chevelle and it was making about 350hp I switched from 1 3/4 primary tube Hedman headers with 2.5 inch exhaust to 2 1/8 primary tube Hooker headers and 3 inch and I lost power. I went from turning 104mph to 102mph. Back then the car was very consistant. It's my opinion (not a fact just an opinion) that because of the larger size I lost some of the scavenging effect and thus power.

Vettezuki 12-24-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11416)
If that were the case then everyone would be running the largest header they could fit on their car. Back when I had the 396 in the Chevelle and it was making about 350hp I switched from 1 3/4 primary tube Hedman headers with 2.5 inch exhaust to 2 1/8 primary tube Hooker headers and 3 inch and I lost power. I went from turning 104mph to 102mph. Back then the car was very consistant. It's my opinion (not a fact just an opinion) that because of the larger size I lost some of the scavenging effect and thus power.

Similarly I've seen guys at the track who say they consistently ran slower after using cutouts, or my personal favorite, the Hondas that actually hack their exhaust off right by the manifold. This is anecdotal, but tends to support the same hypothesis.

Vettezuki 12-24-2008 06:13 PM

I've made a new thread for this subject.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008

BlacknBoostn 12-24-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 11440)
I've made a new thread for this subject.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008

Good plan good sir... I was beginning to feel hijacked... LOL

94cobra69ss396 12-24-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 11462)
Good plan good sir... I was beginning to feel hijacked... LOL

Sorry about that. Did you get it installed today?

BlacknBoostn 12-24-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11474)
Sorry about that. Did you get it installed today?

Haha no worries my fellow enthusiast! I enjoy learning additional information! I'm glad there is a second thread about exhaust theory...

Not yet, I'm waiting to receive some exhaust clamps the seller forgot to bring... should have them on friday or saturday. will be going on sunday hopefully

94cobra69ss396 12-25-2008 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 11478)
Haha no worries my fellow enthusiast! I enjoy learning additional information! I'm glad there is a second thread about exhaust theory...

Not yet, I'm waiting to receive some exhaust clamps the seller forgot to bring... should have them on friday or saturday. will be going on sunday hopefully

You should take some video of the sound of the stock exhaust and then the new exhaust as well as pictures to post up on here when your done.

BlacknBoostn 12-25-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11480)
You should take some video of the sound of the stock exhaust and then the new exhaust as well as pictures to post up on here when your done.

Good Idea!!!

BlacknBoostn 01-06-2009 05:27 PM

what should have taken an hour didn't get done today... mopar exhaust is 2.5 and has a section that necks down to 2.25 to meet up with the stock downpipe. that part isn't on my section haha. so needless to say the project has been postponed until the near future. anyone know someone who can help cut and weld a reducer onto this bish?

didn't really do much else today other than simple green the engine, I was hoping to have a whole bunch of stuff done today for saturday but looks like it'll have to wait till febuary.

almost makes me wish i'd bought a 3in turbo back side exit exhaust system with cat no resonator for 375... still thinkin about it

enkeivette 01-06-2009 09:29 PM

2 1/4 :lame: I need to see a 3" pipe on that thing. :judge:

SeanPlunk 01-06-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12813)
2 1/4 :lame: I need to see a 3" pipe on that thing. :judge:

After you're done being a jackass (which I condone by the way), any possibility you can help him with that welding? I think you do that kind of stuff :)

Tyler, if not, let me know. I might know someone else who can do it for you.

94cobra69ss396 01-06-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12816)
After you're done being a jackass (which I condone by the way), any possibility you can help him with that welding? I think you do that kind of stuff :)

Tyler, if not, let me know. I might know someone else who can do it for you.

If you don't find anyone out there I'll be more than happy to help you but you'll have to come out here to Fontana. I'm about 5 miles North of California Speedway.

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 11:57 AM

Adam... you're funny. I'm already peeping a 3in turbo back side exit catted system as mentioned above... when I upgrade my turbo she will be well equiped.. till then 2.5 borla will do just fine for my stock turbo... Hell, adam if you couldn't mind... i love for you to teach me how to do it!

Sean thanks for your feedback! see you on saturday... and for outting adam about the welding.. ;)

94Cobra (don't know ur name yet) If i can't find anyone closer i'll definitely get in touch with you... my friends friend works at a muffler shop in anaheim so I may try there first.

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 12881)
Adam... you're funny. I'm already peeping a 3in turbo back side exit catted system as mentioned above... when I upgrade my turbo she will be well equiped.. till then 2.5 borla will do just fine for my stock turbo... Hell, adam if you couldn't mind... i love for you to teach me how to do it!

Sean thanks for your feedback! see you on saturday... and for outting adam about the welding.. ;)

94Cobra (don't know ur name yet) If i can't find anyone closer i'll definitely get in touch with you... my friends friend works at a muffler shop in anaheim so I may try there first.

It' Ron.

SeanPlunk 01-07-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12889)
It' Ron.

LOL, I don't think Tyler has met you yet. Ron, when can we go off road again? Next time we go I want to go all the way through with you guys.

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12891)
LOL, I don't think Tyler has met you yet. Ron, when can we go off road again? Next time we go I want to go all the way through with you guys.

Anytime. You guys want to do the same run again but go all the way through to Dish Pan/Deep Creek or do you want to try another trail?

By the way do you want to move this into it's own thread so we don't hijack Tylers again?

Leedom 01-07-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12891)

Hi, my name is Sean and I am a total tread high jacker. :rolling:

SeanPlunk 01-07-2009 12:23 PM

LOL, fine, here is a new thread :sm_laughing:

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12895)
Hi, my name is Sean and I am a total tread high jacker. :rolling:

HAHAHAHA and you're the MODERATOR!!!

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12889)
It' Ron.

Thanks Ron :bigthumbsup: can't wait to meet ya... you be at the meet on saturday???

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 12907)
Thanks Ron :bigthumbsup: can't wait to meet ya... you be at the meet on saturday???

I don't think so. My brother (Throttle Crazy) and I are building a 383 for his '78 Jimmy this week and we're planning on doing the swap on Saturday.

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 02:21 PM

sounds like loads of fun!!! I wish I had the $$ and time to build myself a motor...

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 12909)
sounds like loads of fun!!! I wish I had the $$ and time to build myself a motor...

It only cost him $40 so far for bearings. By the time it's complete he will only have about $300 into it.

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12912)
It only cost him $40 so far for bearings. By the time it's complete he will only have about $300 into it.

??? I don't get it... you just have parts lyin around or what? find a salvaged motor??? can we move this to a new thread haha I'm curious!!!

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 12913)
??? I don't get it... you just have parts lyin around or what? find a salvaged motor??? can we move this to a new thread haha I'm curious!!!

Yes, he has a complete ZZ383 that we are assembling that he got for free.

BlacknBoostn 01-07-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12915)
Yes, he has a complete ZZ383 that we are assembling that he got for free.

Wow that sounds like so much fun! How do you stumble accross these blocks? I want to start keeping my eye out for a good fun project!

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 04:14 PM

You already have one. Now get that downpipe done. Did you get some video of the before sound yet?