Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   C7 Revealed (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45624)

N8Dogg98 01-15-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 109734)
Why do mustang guys buy cars and rarely ever use them?

I beg to differ... I see Mustang GT's all the time and the people driving them are either full throttle or will be in 5 minutes. Also, unlike the Vette, Ford offers a V-6 option for the status enthusiasts.

Vettezuki 01-15-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohwblow (Post 109733)
I completely agree. Even if I don't like them personally I have bough (limited I know) maturity to admit they are a solid performer. This brings us in a circle to their target demographic though. Why do old men purchas this, and rarely if ever use it?

Psychological connection to the virility of their youth. :huh: "I'm still a stud. See, look." Perhaps subconsciously, or not so subconsciously also an attempt to attract somewhat younger women who in turn will be attracted to the display of apparent wealth. Plenty just get a genuine kick out of having something that can do X. Doing X is not necessarily required, and of course plenty buy when they're older just because it's the first time they could reasonably afford what they've wanted their whole lives. In any case, knowing you have the potential for something is often sufficient, like it's an option on the table. You don't have to exercise it.

Vettezuki 01-15-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8Dogg98 (Post 109739)
I beg to differ... I see Mustang GT's all the time and the people driving them are either full throttle or will be in 5 minutes. Also, unlike the Vette, Ford offers a V-6 option for the status enthusiasts.

I tend to agree. I'd be FAR less inclined to buy a used GT than a used Vette for this reason. GTs are often "rode hard and put away wet."

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8Dogg98 (Post 109739)

Maturity. I have high horsepower vehicles and rarely go above 70 when driving. I know that I can get going very fast, very quick and prefer not to get myself into trouble if I can avoid it. Simply driving sensibly on the street is not a good indication of driver ability.

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 109741)
Psychological connection to the virility of their youth. :huh: "I'm still a stud. See, look." Perhaps subconsciously, or not so subconsciously also an attempt to attract somewhat younger women who in turn will be attracted to the display of apparent wealth. Plenty just get a genuine kick out of having something that can do X. Doing X is not necessarily required, and of course plenty buy when they're older just because it's the first time they could reasonably afford what they've wanted their whole lives. In any case, knowing you have the potential for something is often sufficient, like it's an option on the table. You don't have to exercise it.

Exactly. I can punch a hole in a cinderblock, but I don't need to or have to, and when I do, shit breaks. Same as a car.

N8Dogg98 01-15-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 109742)
I tend to agree. I'd be FAR less inclined to buy a used GT than a used Vette for this reason. GTs are often "rode hard and put away wet."

I've gotta give Ford credit where it's due, and despite beating the piss out of my Mustang for the last 10 years it continues to run well and doesn't burn any oil despite 140k on the clock. Other than 2 sets of tie rod ends, a clutch, and a rear end rebuild this car has required zero unscheduled maintenance.

I'd say that's pretty good for a 15 year old car that gets beat on frequently.

Shaolin Crane 01-15-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8Dogg98 (Post 109745)
I've gotta give Ford credit where it's due, and despite beating the piss out of my Mustang for the last 10 years it continues to run well and doesn't burn any oil despite 140k on the clock. Other than 2 sets of tie rod ends, a clutch, and a rear end rebuild this car has required zero unscheduled maintenance.

I'vd broken axles, blocks, heads, transmissions, etc etc.

fiveohwblow 01-15-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 109734)
Why do mustang guys buy cars and rarely ever use them?

If you're directly pointing at me I use the hell out of it, or rather did when I enjoyed it. I am moving on now, I'm done with it. If not entertained, no point in investing any more in it including time.

fiveohwblow 01-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 109741)

While I agree, that's a hell of a way to spend 55k+!

fiveohwblow 01-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8Dogg98 (Post 109745)

I'm 2.5 times the rwhp output of stock and have never had a failed part. Not one.