Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorgen Events (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Multi-model Dyno Day and Motorgen Meet February 21, 2009 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097)

BRUTAL64 02-04-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14716)
So what was the FIRST car company to built an OHV engine?

See, I can do this also.:smack:

:popcorn:

Vettezuki 02-04-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14725)

I bet you it was a Kraut-mobile of some kind, round about the time Herr Otto came up with the Otto cycle. :huh:

SeanPlunk 02-04-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14725)

I believe the answer is Chrysler.

I also believe Chrysler will be the answer to the question "which one of the big 3 went under first." It's really sad :bang:

BRUTAL64 02-05-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 14746)
I believe the answer is Chrysler.

I also believe Chrysler will be the answer to the question "which one of the big 3 went under first." It's really sad :bang:

You got the first letter right--"C".

Ready.......wait for it ...................Cadillac.:rolleyes:

Chrysler is working a deal with Fiat.

Vettezuki 02-05-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14752)
You got the first letter right--"C".

Ready.......wait for it ...................Cadillac.:rolleyes:

Chrysler is working a deal with Fiat.

That was actually going to be my first guess, but I actually think it is wrong. Maybach was "mass producing" these in the late 1800s. Perhaps it depends on what you're calling a "car company". When did Caddy come out with this engine? Must have been early 1900s I'mma guess'n.

BRUTAL64 02-05-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 14755)
That was actually going to be my first guess, but I actually think it is wrong. Maybach was "mass producing" these in the late 1800s. Perhaps it depends on what you're calling a "car company". When did Caddy come out with this engine? Must have been early 1900s I'mma guess'n.

Going by memory, I think about 1916 or 15 there abouts. Can't swear on this though.:rolleyes:

Vettezuki 02-05-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14756)
Going by memory, I think about 1916 or 15 there abouts. Can't swear on this though.:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure our German pals were cranking them out long before that for their "horseless carriages" and whatnot. I think the 1916 Caddy has another major claim to fame though. It was the first car to be laid out like what we think of as a car, that is clutch, brake, accelerator, with a gear shift in the center, etc. An Englishman used this as the base for making a cheaper version which in turn was licensed to the Germans and Japanese, et. al. (forgot the names). These, not the Model T were the first mass produced cars in the form of a car we would recognize still today. That Caddy might also have been the first car with an electric starter and a key, but I'm not positive.

BRUTAL64 02-05-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 14758)
I'm pretty sure our German pals were cranking them out long before that for their "horseless carriages" and whatnot. I think the 1916 Caddy has another major claim to fame though. It was the first car to be laid out like what we think of as a car, that is clutch, brake, accelerator, with a gear shift in the center, etc. An Englishman used this as the base for making a cheaper version which in turn was licensed to the Germans and Japanese, et. al. (forgot the names). These, not the Model T were the first mass produced cars in the form of a car we would recognize still today. That Caddy might also have been the first car with an electric starter and a key, but I'm not positive.

Show off! Yea, the Caddy had the first electric start. :bigthumbsup:

Like I said; you keep up well.:drink:

SeanPlunk 02-07-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 14761)
Show off! Yea, the Caddy had the first electric start. :bigthumbsup:

Like I said; you keep up well.:drink:

I was just cheating and looking at Wikipedia, LOL.

Vettezuki 02-08-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 14879)
I was just cheating and looking at Wikipedia, LOL.

I wasn't. Suk it. :judge::rolling: