Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Derailers Anonymous (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34166)

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 11:10 AM

Throw the soda, and give her the tip to Bob and weave. Life long

enkeivette 07-29-2013 11:13 AM

On that note, AMERICANS, tip on service. Not on the bill. First of all we are the only people who feel that a tip is required, it's not like that in other countries.

Second, if you order $40 worth of steak and lobster over a $12 hamburger, your waitress didn't do anything to deserve a larger tip. Especially when she has a food runner bring you the entrees.

Third, I've been a waiter at 2 restaurants now. They go home with a few hundred dollars in cash on the weekends... AND THEN THEY GET THEIR PAYCHECKS. Don't feel bad for them, they make good money for what they do.

If they suck, that needs to be reflected in the tip. I will tip anywhere from 35% - nothing, good service, cheap meal deserves a larger tip. Expensive meal, poor service, deserves nothing. Remember that.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118721)
On that note, AMERICANS, tip on service. Not on the bill. First of all we are the only people who feel that a tip is required, it's not like that in other countries.

Second, if you order $40 worth of steak and lobster over a $12 hamburger, your waitress didn't do anything to deserve a larger tip. Especially when she has a food runner bring you the entrees.

Third, I've been a waiter at 2 restaurants now. They go home with a few hundred dollars in cash on the weekends... AND THEN THEY GET THEIR PAYCHECKS. Don't feel bad for them, they make good money for what they do.

If they suck, that needs to be reflected in the tip. I will tip anywhere from 35% - nothing, good service, cheap meal deserves a larger tip. Expensive meal, poor service, deserves nothing. Remember that.

If you travel you should check local customs. It varies. There is no tipping for anything in Japan, but most places that I'm aware of throughout Europe have some tipping for bellhops, taxis, and even food. Just check so you don't end up being the ugly American.

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118726)
If you travel you should check local customs. It varies. There is no tipping for anything in Japan, but most places that I'm aware of throughout Europe have some tipping for bellhops, taxis, and even food. Just check so you don't end up being the ugly American.

China and Japan its an insult to tip. I learned the hard way.

blackax 07-29-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118721)

I agree. I 100% will leave 10$ on a 20$ meal if the service is great and then i might leave .01$ if the service sucked. I have gotten the most hateful looks from servers who have seen me leave .01 as a tip on my credit card. And I tell them if the service was better then i would of tipped better

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 12:29 PM

I'm the samr way, covina has a lot of mom and pop eaters with great food that are cheap. We're talk in full meals for 7-15 for two people. 20% tip would only be sometimes pocket change I'll gladly leave the cost of the bill because the service is bitchen.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118730)
China and Japan its an insult to tip. I learned the hard way.

I don't know about China, but in Japan, they simply won't accept it and generally assume you made a mistake, or that you just don't know the custom; silly gaijin. I had a friend who once was once chased by a cabby to give him his change back. :jester:

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118737)
I don't know about China, but in Japan, they simply won't accept it and generally assume you made a mistake, or that you just don't know the custom; silly gaijin. I had a friend who once was once chased by a cabby to give him his change back. :jester:

I use to go to golden dragon festivals in china town and would wear my jacket with My shaolin kung fu *kanji* and they would inquire about me being Sifu. Many times restaurants would not charge me at all or flat out refuse a tip. Maybe just a respect for kung fu traditions.

enkeivette 07-29-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118726)

Not that they don't want tips in Europe, but that they don't expect them. So I am told.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118742)
Not that they don't want tips in Europe, but that they don't expect them. So I am told.

This has been my experience.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tipping.htm

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2013 12:21 AM

Thinking about neutral balance this time around.

enkeivette 07-30-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118770)
Thinking about neutral balance this time around.

You talking about corner weights or your Chi?

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2013 10:56 AM

I'm talking about engines. My new eagle crank is internally balanced, so might be better to go Zero. This time around.

enkeivette 07-30-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118810)
I'm talking about engines. My new eagle crank is internally balanced, so might be better to go Zero. This time around.

Zero? You mean like no balancer?

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2013 12:33 PM

It still has a harmonic dampener. But it doesn't balance the engine.

enkeivette 07-30-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118822)
It still has a harmonic dampener. But it doesn't balance the engine.

I've never heard that called zero balance, usually neutral. That's how mine is balanced.

There was a thread on CF where a big hp roots guy was arguing that there is no need for a dampener on an internally balanced engine.

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118848)
I've never heard that called zero balance, usually neutral. That's how mine is balanced.

There was a thread on CF where the big hp roots guys were arguing that there is no need for a dampener on an internally balanced engine.

There's not, but how are you going to time it and bolt on the blower pulley?

enkeivette 07-30-2013 11:18 PM

See below. Smart way to save 8lbs of rotating mass.

enkeivette 07-30-2013 11:29 PM

It looks like some companies make snouts to replace the dampener, or you can remove the outer steel weight and run a stock one.

The theory seems to be that blower belts work as dampeners.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-have-one.html

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2013 11:57 PM

Same cost either way, won't hurt it to have a dampener. Can't remove the outer weight on a sbf, won't work like that

enkeivette 07-31-2013 10:05 AM

Ya huh, SBF HB's are built the same as SBC HB's. Sort of like the rest of the engine

Shaolin Crane 07-31-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118878)
Ya huh, SBF HB's are built the same as SBC HB's. Sort of like the rest of the engine

We've been down this road before, the LS is more similar to a SBF than a SBC is. A ford balancer has the weights on the inner portion of the balancer. So removing the weight at the elastomter would still have the weight in the same sport.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 09:51 AM

Its a chunk of steel, it is a big weight. Removing the ring gets rid of the outer weight, SBF or SBC.

Moreover, the point of a harmonic dampener is to have weight past the isolating rubber. To absorb. Therefore it must have weight past the rubber ring.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 09:54 AM

Gonna fab up some brackets to set my Vette up for flat towing. My gf bought me a tow bar. How fucking amazing is that? I found a girl that buys me car parts... sold :judge:

enkeivette 08-01-2013 10:10 AM

If I didn't argue with Guy on a daily basis my brain would go soft.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 10:11 AM

Dear Bruno Mars:

. Shut the fuck up.

Sincerely,

Me

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118951)
Its a chunk of steel, it is a big weight. Removing the ring gets rid of the outer weight, SBF or SBC.

Moreover, the point of a harmonic dampener is to have weight past the isolating rubber. To absorb. Therefore it must have weight past the rubber ring.

OK so it turns it into a non harmonic balancer. There still weight towards the center portion of the weigh under the isolator. So it still wouldn't be a neutral balance, look close and see. I could remove it and it would still be off balance

enkeivette 08-01-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118960)
OK so it turns it into a non harmonic balancer. There still weight towards the center portion of the weigh under the isolator. So it still wouldn't be a neutral balance, look close and see. I could remove it and it would still be off balance

Nah, outer ring isnt balanced to counter the inner ring. Especially not on a neutral balanced HB

enkeivette 08-01-2013 11:44 AM

I wonder if running kills brain cells. I dont even feel this out of it when Im drunk

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118961)
Nah, outer ring isnt balanced to counter the inner ring. Especially not on a neutral balanced HB

Are you drunk? You said all I had to do was remove the outer weight and I'd have a neutral balance dampener. Can't do that because the counter weight is on the inside.

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118955)
Dear Bruno Mars:

. Shut the fuck up.

Sincerely,

Me

I like Bruno mars.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118966)
Are you drunk? You said all I had to do was remove the outer weight and I'd have a neutral balance dampener. Can't do that because the counter weight is on the inside.

Never said that, and false. I only said it was a good way to loose 8lbs of rotating mass.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118967)
I like Bruno mars.

8--- ---8

fiveohwblow 08-01-2013 01:31 PM

Adam is going in for the bro dock

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118852)
It looks like some companies make snouts to replace the dampener, or you can remove the outer steel weight and run a stock one.

The theory seems to be that blower belts work as dampeners.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-have-one.html

Uhm yeah...That is what you said.

enkeivette 08-01-2013 01:44 PM

Nope. I search in vain for the words 'neutral balance' in that quote.

Nice way to take the heat off yourself though ;)

enkeivette 08-01-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohwblow (Post 118973)
Adam is going in for the bro dock

Im not the one who likes Bruno Mars

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118979)
Nope. I search in vain for the words 'neutral balance' in that quote.

Nice way to take the heat off yourself though ;)

Then pretell why would I follow your advice of removing the elastometer weight off my stock one? This would benefit me how?

fiveohwblow 08-01-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118980)
Im not the one who likes Bruno Mars

No you're just the one making dick pictures

enkeivette 08-03-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohwblow (Post 118991)
No you're just the one making dick pictures

Doesnt matter, liking Bruno Mars is gayer than taking it up the ass