Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Meet and Greet (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Hi everyone! New member (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45755)

Shaolin Crane 01-22-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 110102)
There is no action between agents. It would be like saying a photo competition, or even more oddly, a mere photo exhibit is a sport, whereas "sport" clearly implies physical action AND competition.

sport
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Drift as sport? No problem.

So a dude who builds a 69 Boss. Makes 800hp and NEVER races the car, just does cruise ins and car shows isn't a participant in autosports lifestyle?

BADDASSC6 01-22-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 110104)
So a dude who builds a 69 Boss. Makes 800hp and NEVER races the car, just does cruise ins and car shows isn't a participant in autosports lifestyle?

Fuck no.

Vettezuki 01-22-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 110138)
Fuck no.

Concur.

He's a participant in the car hobby. Not auto-sports.

Shaolin Crane 01-22-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 110145)
Concur.

He's a participant in the car hobby. Not auto-sports.

So then Adam is not part of autosports then?

Vettezuki 01-23-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 110162)
So then Adam is not part of autosports then?

No. And while I've made dozens of passes at the strip, I haven't done it in years now. I'd consider myself pure "car hobby" or "automotive enthusiast"; nothing at all like Carlos. In fact I'd say he's the only one here that I can think of who is truly into autos ports as a participant per se, at least of the top of my head. Ron is somewhat having joined the whatever race series that is for drag, and participating. Jerry is getting into it with his Vette. I'm not arguing values here, just definitions.

Shaolin Crane 01-23-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 110164)
No. And while I've made dozens of passes at the strip, I haven't done it in years now. I'd consider myself pure "car hobby" or "automotive enthusiast"; nothing at all like Carlos. In fact I'd say he's the only one here that I can think of who is truly into autos ports as a participant per se, at least of the top of my head. Ron is somewhat having joined the whatever race series that is for drag, and participating. Jerry is getting into it with his Vette. I'm not arguing values here, just definitions.

I'll have to disagree then, if you race your car, in any way, sanctioned or not, it's auto sports. Plenty of people play basketball at the gym without being part of a team or league and its still considered playing.

fiveohwblow 01-23-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 110167)
I'll have to disagree then, if you race your car, in any way, sanctioned or not, it's auto sports. Plenty of people play basketball at the gym without being part of a team or league and its still considered playing.

Agree. Perfect analogy.

Vettezuki 01-23-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 110167)

You didn't say anything about Adam or any other guy "street racing" just implying possession of X.

Street racing meets the definition of applying a skill in competition as previously mentioned. It meets the basic definition at least. Some might argue more narrowly on whether it's sanctioned and more thoroughly organized, but it at least meets the basic requirements.

Does a person who merely owns a basketball and hoop play basketball? No. Does a person who owns a basketball and hoop and shoots hoops by themselves play basketball? No. Does a person who does canyon carving participate in motor sports? No. In none of these cases is there any sport . . . if the word sport is to have an sensible consistent meaning anyway.

If a word becomes so broad in application it no longer delineates categories it becomes a useless word.

But if you want to say street racing is a motor-sport of sorts I wouldn't argue.

94cobra69ss396 01-23-2013 10:39 AM

I disagree Ben. If I go to Adams Motorsport Park and run the Cobra and compete against myself to improve on my personal time is that not competing in motorsports? It may not be at a professional level but that's like saying anyone who doesn't play basketball in the NBA is not playing basketball.

Vettezuki 01-23-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 110193)
I disagree Ben. If I go to Adams Motorsport Park and run the Cobra and compete against myself to improve on my personal time is that not competing in motorsports? It may not be at a professional level but that's like saying anyone who doesn't play basketball in the NBA is not playing basketball.

I didn't say anything about professional. I even said street racing and drift are reasonably within motorsports.

At Adams you're being timed against yourself and others on a track. Fine to call that motorsports obviously. It's called Adams Motorsports Park for a sensible reason.

Where I disagree is mere possession of a "bad ass" car or whatever does not equal participation in motorsports.