Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Transmission (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063)

BRUTAL64 08-27-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 30588)
Excellent. I like my feet.:sm_laughing:

Well, you do show them off to everyone.:smack:

Vettezuki 06-14-2010 03:38 PM

Picked up a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, MC and throwout bearing from McLeod today. It's the good stuff. Once this thing is together it should work really well for a damn long time without a bunch of hassle. :thumbs_up:

joedls 06-14-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53582)
Picked up a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, MC and throwout bearing from McLeod today. It's the good stuff. Once this thing is together it should work really well for a damn long time without a bunch of hassle. :thumbs_up:

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Tell me you got the slave cylinder, too.

Vettezuki 06-14-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 53583)
:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Tell me you got the slave cylinder, too.

No. It's the same setup as my Vette. There's no fork actuated by a slave cylinder but the MC connected directly to the Hydraulic throw out bearing. In a sense, the throw out bearing is the slave if that's what you mean. I'll post pics tonight. Once installed I'll have to get a hydraulic line made.

The only minor thing I'm slightly concerned about is that when I first spec'd these parts out I think I told them the motor was an old 302, not an 80s era one, which apparently it is according to Ron. It's definitely for Ford top loader, but is the flywheel bolt pattern the same. Any reason for concern?

joedls 06-14-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53587)
No. It's the same setup as my Vette. There's no fork actuated by a slave cylinder but the MC connected directly to the Hydraulic throw out bearing. In a sense, the throw out bearing is the slave if that's what you mean. I'll post pics tonight. Once installed I'll have to get a hydraulic line made.

The only minor thing I'm slightly concerned about is that when I first spec'd these parts out I think I told them the motor was an old 302, not an 80s era one, which apparently it is according to Ron. It's definitely for Ford top loader, but is the flywheel bolt pattern the same. Any reason for concern?

I'm pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern, just different weight imbalances.

My 07 Mustang has a throw-out bearing that is integrated into the slave cylinder. It slips over the input shaft and bolts to the transmission.

I'm not picturing what you're talking about. Maybe when I see pics.

Vettezuki 06-14-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 53589)
I'm pretty sure they have the same bolt pattern, just different weight imbalances.

As long as it fits and works so I don't have to go back and explain that I'm stupid.

Quote:

My 07 Mustang has a throw-out bearing that is integrated into the slave cylinder. It slips over the input shaft and bolts to the transmission.
That's what we're talking about. MC connects to that.

joedls 06-14-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53594)
As long as it fits and works so I don't have to go back and explain that I'm stupid.

That's what we're talking about. MC connects to that.

Does the tranny have bolt holes where they're needed to bolt the slave?

Vettezuki 06-14-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 53595)
Does the tranny have bolt holes where they're needed to bolt the slave?

Guess we're gonna find out. That unit is specifically for a Ford Top Loader (supposedly).

Now that I think about it, what about the heads. Any difference between the old 60s 289/302 and 80s era 5.0 for head bolt pattern? I think you answered this and the answer was no, just don't recall. I was under the impression this was an old block til Ron and I tore it down.

joedls 06-14-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53596)
Guess we're gonna find out. That unit is specifically for a Ford Top Loader (supposedly).

Now that I think about it, what about the heads. Any difference between the old 60s 289/302 and 80s era 5.0 for head bolt pattern? I think you answered this and the answer was no, just don't recall. I was under the impression this was an old block til Ron and I tore it down.

No difference for head bolt pattern, either.

joedls 06-14-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53596)
I was under the impression this was an old block til Ron and I tore it down.

What gave you that impression? Not that it makes any difference.

http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...1&postcount=55