Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What'cha Listen'n to Now? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191)

gunfish 01-04-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 11624)
This one almost brings tears to my eyes every time . . .

Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) - Tom Waits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBdo4...eature=related

Wow. How did I miss that one? Fantastic!

gunfish 01-08-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 11624)
This one almost brings tears to my eyes every time . . .

Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda) - Tom Waits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBdo4...eature=related

Damn you, Ben. It's been 4 days since I first listened to this one and I'm mesmerized by it! If it was a vinyl 45, I'd have already run a needle all the way through it.

Vettezuki 01-08-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunfish (Post 13053)
Damn you, Ben. It's been 4 days since I first listened to this one and I'm mesmerized by it! If it was a vinyl 45, I'd have already run a needle all the way through it.

It really is that good, if you're into that sort of thing. Great lyrics (almost unheard of these days), nice arrangement and a one-of-a-kind vocal performance. I love Tom Waits.

Vettezuki 01-13-2009 11:47 PM

"Alfie" - Dionne Warwick arranged Burt Bacharach

It's an awesome, quirky song.

Vettezuki 01-15-2009 01:29 AM

"Hunger Strike" - Temple of the Dog

This is totally my senior year in H.S and especially the summer after. Temple of the Dog is possibly the best grunge album ever.

Vettezuki 01-18-2009 10:52 PM

"Things Ain't Like They Used to Be" - Black Keys

Mad props to my lil' bro Death Cult Aaronmageddon for turning me on to the Black Keys. I usually bitch about how inane a lot of "modern" bands are. These guys are definitely old school, but have their own unique flavor. I can't listen too long though, the blue gets a bit heavy after a while.

Vettezuki 01-21-2009 11:51 PM

"Going to California" - Led Zeppelin

Reminds me of my early teen years and first guitar playing.

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 01-22-2009 02:50 AM

Wretch by Protest The Hero.... Pure awesomeness....

Vettezuki 01-26-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunfish (Post 13053)

Well, here's another one. I can only listen to this one on occasion, it has such a strong effect. I have an almost drug like response to music.

"Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell

This is the later version from the same titled album. Vince Mendoza did the arrangement. He's 2 x awesome.

Vettezuki 02-03-2009 11:15 PM

- Japanese Traditinoal as performed by the Scorpions . . . live . . .in 1979 :lhdevil:

The best translation is "Moonlit Castle Ruins". It was my father-in-law's favorite melody. I couldn't find a great shakuhachi version on YT, so I went with Scorpions for fun.

gunfish 02-05-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 14353)
Well, here's another one. I can only listen to this one on occasion, it has such a strong effect. I have an almost drug like response to music.

"Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell

This is the later version from the same titled album. Vince Mendoza did the arrangement. He's 2 x awesome.

Joni is definitely a talent. Court and Spark is still a favorite of mine.
:thumbs_up:

gunfish 02-16-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13055)
It really is that good, if you're into that sort of thing. Great lyrics (almost unheard of these days), nice arrangement and a one-of-a-kind vocal performance. I love Tom Waits.

Here's another one that gets me every time:

SeanPlunk 02-23-2009 08:16 PM

I caught and I kind of like it. I'm not a huge Bruce Springsteen fan and it's definitely a little 80's, but it's still kind of neat sounding.

Vettezuki 02-28-2009 03:13 AM

- U2

This is from Passengers, a collection of tracks used for soundtracks. It really reminds me of my time working at Tower records in the late 90s while at school. It was a short time, but I worked with an interesting girl named Venus and an even more interesting guy named Kyle Shostakovitch who occasionally came to work in a cape and listened to Iannis Zenakis because he thought it was relaxing, not even I'm that nutty when it comes to music. I heard he made some fascinating 8mm films, but I never got to see any. :(

On a separate note, I knew a Bosnian girl in grad school who gave birth to her first son in a Serbian "detention" camp, surviving off dandelions soup picked from the yard. We Americans are so extraordinarily insulated from harshness that we are able to indulge some pretty . . . mmm, soft ideas about reality.

Vettezuki 02-28-2009 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 16075)
I caught this song on the radio today and I kind of like it. I'm not a huge Bruce Springsteen fan and it's definitely a little 80's, but it's still kind of neat sounding.

A great career as a real singer song writer. But for my dollar, it's the lesser known and earlier "Nebraska" album that is really great. Oh yeah, it will suck your will to live. Here's the lyrics from the title track "". (Based on a true story.)

I saw her standin on her front lawn just twirlin her baton
Me and her went for a ride sir and ten innocent people died

From the town of lincoln nebraska with a sawed-off .410 on my lap
Through to the badlands of wyoming I killed everything in my path

I cant say that Im sorry for the things that we done
At least for a little while sir me and her we had us some fun

The jury brought in a guilty verdict and the judge he sentenced me to death
Midnight in a prison storeroom with leather straps across my chest

Sheriff when the man pulls that switch sir and snaps my poor neck back
You make sure my pretty baby is sittin right there on my lap

They declared me unfit to live said into that great void my soul
Be hurled
They wanted to know why I did what I did
Well sir I guess theres just a meanness in this world

Douglas Mariani 02-28-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 16546)
A great career as a real singer song writer. But for my dollar, it's the lesser known and earlier "Nebraska" album that is really great. Oh yeah, it will suck your will to live. (Based on a true story.)

I just listened to it......your right :suicide:

Vettezuki 03-07-2009 11:50 PM

" - (12" Version)" - The Specials

This is what I'm going to blast out my MadMaxx Mobile after the global economic Apocalypse has run its course. (Kinda ignore the video, use your imagination.)

Douglas Mariani 03-08-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 17247)
"Ghost Town - (12" Version)" - The Specials

This is what I'm going to blast out my MadMaxx Mobile after the global economic Apocalypse has run its course. (Kinda ignore the video, use your imagination.)

Umm....well.....for some reason it reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show (which i seen in my youth many many times and now have the DVD).

Vettezuki 03-12-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Mariani (Post 17286)
Umm....well.....for some reason it reminds me of the Rocky Horror Picture Show (which i seen in my youth many many times and now have the DVD).

For me, it's the lyrics, very poignant. Oh, and the deranged music. :thumbs_up:

94cobra69ss396 03-24-2009 04:02 PM

My daughters are on Spring Break this week and are playing in their loft which is right outside of my office. It seems their favorite song right now is from the Disney Mania 6 CD. It is song 6 which is Real Gone by Billy Ray Cyrus. I've heard it about 20 times today.

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 03-31-2009 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 17247)
"Ghost Town - (12" Version)" - The Specials

In response to that this

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 03-31-2009 06:15 AM

And or this.

Vettezuki 03-31-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon (Post 19180)

Who woulda thought that Ska would be the sound track for a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Vettezuki 04-09-2009 04:01 PM

Kingdom of Rust - Doves

New album. A little weaker than previous in my opinion, but the title track is great.

Vettezuki 04-19-2009 10:57 PM

Atlantic - Keane

From "Under The Iron Sea"

This is my introduction to Keane. Pretty cool. More colorful harmony than a lot of other Brit pop.

SeanPlunk 04-24-2009 10:18 PM

Good song :bigthumbsup:

SeanPlunk 04-24-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 20058)
Kingdom of Rust - Doves

New album. A little weaker than previous in my opinion, but the title track is great.

Not feeling Kingdom of Rust, what a bummer. Black and White Town is FAR superior. I like Jetstream off that album better, but I agree so far it's not as good as their older stuff.

Vettezuki 04-24-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 21151)
Not feeling Kingdom of Rust, what a bummer. Black and White Town is FAR superior. I like Jetstream off that album better, but I agree so far it's not as good as their older stuff.

Some Cities is definitely a better album overall IMO, but Kingdom of Rust has been growing on me a bit, I do like the title track the best. But I'm in a Keane mode now. Under the Iron Sea is a pretty strong album overall.

SeanPlunk 04-24-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 21152)
Some Cities is definitely a better album overall IMO, but Kingdom of Rust has been growing on me a bit, I do like the title track the best. But I'm in a Keane mode now. Under the Iron Sea is a pretty strong album overall.

I still think Lost Souls is their best album.

SeanPlunk 04-24-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 20721)
Atlantic - Keane

From "Under The Iron Sea"

This is my introduction to Keane. Pretty cool. More colorful harmony than a lot of other Brit pop.

Keane Somewhere Only We Know > Keane Atlantic

Vettezuki 04-24-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 21153)
I still think Lost Souls is their best album.

It's great. Much darker over all though. I find myself listening to SC a bit more on average. Almost Forgot Myself is one of if not my personal favorite Doves song.

Vettezuki 04-24-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 21155)
Keane Somewhere Only We Know > Keane Atlantic

Somewhere Only We Know is too poppy (read predictalble/boring, though I don't mean it so negatively) for me. Atlantic, and several other tracks on Under the Iron Sea are much stronger musically for my tastes. Keep in mind I'm a huge Bjork fan . . . including the really weird shit. :nuts:

SeanPlunk 04-24-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 21156)
It's great. Much darker over all though. I find myself listening to SC a bit more on average. Almost Forgot Myself is one of if not my personal favorite Doves song.

On Lost Souls I love Catch the Sun, Break Me Gently, Firesuite, and Valley. Great songs!

Vettezuki 04-25-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 21158)
On Lost Souls I love Catch the Sun, Break Me Gently, Firesuite, and Valley. Great songs!

For me generally, but depending on mood, my preference of these songs would be

Firesuite (great for cruising late at night by yourself)
Valley
Break Me Gently

Catch the Sun is cool, but I've gotta be in the right mood. In other words, it has less power to "put me in a mood". This may be an odd distinction for a non-musician.

Vettezuki 04-25-2009 02:24 AM

I thought I might have posted this before, but apparently not. It's easily in the Top 5, and sometimes #1 piece I'd like to hear before I die, if I get a choice.

I could bore with some interesting musicological details, but I'll stick to the basics. Bartok wrote this concerto more or less on his death bed with the hopes of it being a somewhat more popular piece that could make some money for his wife after he died. :(

I was always hoping, and still do, that ya'lls will mention what it is that you like about what you're listening to, or what it reminds you of, or whatever. A bit more than, "I'm listening to X". When you feel like it. :bigthumbsup:

I especially like this from 6:30. Listen to the clouds of fast notes that create a sense of weightlessness and disembodiment in how they sit against the held notes of the winds, like at 8:30. I love the power and declaration from 9:40; the dissonance, that gives way to a gentle release at 10:10.

I'm not being technical at all, but does this description still sound like a foreign language?

BRUTAL64 04-25-2009 10:24 AM

"Flower Power Songs of the 60s"--10 disk set. Real songs for real men.:rolleyes:

Vettezuki 05-03-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 21169)
"Flower Power Songs of the 60s"--10 disk set. Real songs for real men.:rolleyes:

There were 10 discs worth of flower power songs?

Vettezuki 05-03-2009 11:54 PM

Leaving So Soon? - Keane

This song has a great flow/momentum.

BRUTAL64 05-04-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 21682)
There were 10 discs worth of flower power songs?

Yes, 10 disks.:bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 05-09-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 21696)
Yes, 10 disks.:bigthumbsup:

Discs. As in Compact Disc.

God I'm an a-hole sometimes.