Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Engine Related (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054)

94cobra69ss396 01-09-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13171)
Q: What kind of cam does this engine have in it, I forgot?

It's a hydraulic roller.

joedls 01-09-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13171)
Heads Purchased.

One thing, didn't include rockers like I thought, but still seems like a good, or at least fair deal over all.

Q: What kind of cam does this engine have in it, I forgot?

Q: Can/should we reuse the rockers from the stock heads? If so what was the stud size? OR, should I just bite the bullet and get a set of aluminum roller rockers for $159?

We saved quite a bit of money on the original car and will save some more because Ron will be building the cage, so I thought it made sense to use the savings and splurge a bit on the heads within reason. Now I'm somewhat back in el cheapo mode. :smack:

Those heads have aluminum roller rockers. They should work with the new heads.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 06:37 PM

Stock Heads Value

I've got clearance from Joe to sell the stock heads. I was thinking leave them intact and sell them, then use that money to put towards new Aluminum roller rockers for the new heads. Anybody have any idea what stock 302 heads should go for?

joedls 01-09-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13179)
I've got clearance from Joe to sell the stock heads. I was thinking leave them intact and sell them, then use that money to put towards new Aluminum roller rockers for the new heads. Anybody have any idea what stock 302 heads should go for?

I don't think you need to purchase new rocker arms. Have you looked at what's on those heads yet? I think you'll be pleased when you pop open a valve cover.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13180)
I don't think you need to purchase new rocker arms. Have you looked at what's on those heads yet? I think you'll be pleased when you pop open a valve cover.

That'd be even more better I guess. If you're coming to tomorrow night's meet, maybe you and Glenn can come over to my house (literally 2 minutes away) and take a look and give your ruling. Also, you can see the project car's current status.

joedls 01-09-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13181)
That'd be even more better I guess. If you're coming to tomorrow night's meet, maybe you and Glenn can come over to my house (literally 2 minutes away) and take a look and give your ruling. Also, you can see the project car's current status.

Still not sure if I'll make it tomorrow night, but if I do, i'd love to swing by. Those heads have Crane Cams Energizer 1.6 roller rockers

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13182)
Still not sure if I'll make it tomorrow night, but if I do, i'd love to swing by. Those heads have Crane Cams Energizer 1.6 roller rockers

Oh, that ain't stock. Do you remember how big the studs were. The head guy needs to know when assembling the new heads.

joedls 01-09-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13183)
Oh, that ain't stock. Do you remember how big the studs were. The head guy needs to know when assembling the new heads.

No, Ben, they're not stock. What am I gonna do with you? How many times do I have to give you this info?

http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=98

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13184)
No, Ben, they're not stock. What am I gonna do with you? How many times do I have to give you this info?

http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...4&postcount=98

Thanks Joe. That was the post I was looking for, but didn't look too hard. I'm all clear now. :bigthumbsup:

94cobra69ss396 01-09-2009 07:46 PM

I'll be there Sunday if you want me to take a look. We can also pull a head and see what style of valve relief the pistons have. If they have the four half moon style the biggest valve we can run is a 1.94 which is what my AFR 165s have. If they have two larger reliefs then we can run 2.02 which is what the AFR 185 comes with.

joedls 01-09-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13127)
He suggested a Demon Holly 750.

Just to clarify, I don't know what a Demon Holley 750 is, but I did recommend a Mighty Demon 750 blower carb. This carb allows you to boost-reference the power valve.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13188)
Just to clarify, I don't know what a Demon Holley 750 is, but I did recommend a Mighty Demon 750 blower carb. This carb allows you to boost-reference the power valve.

That's good to know. :sm_up_there: Between my day gig, other MG stuff, and trying to light a fire on this project my brain is a little scrambled, especially cuz I'm not so familiar with some of the parts.

joedls 01-09-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13189)
That's good to know. :sm_up_there: Between my day gig, other MG stuff, and trying to light a fire on this project my brain is a little scrambled, especially cuz I'm not so familiar with some of the parts.

Hey, it's all good. I'm just kind of a smart-ass. It's all in fun, though.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13190)
Hey, it's all good. I'm just kind of a smart-ass. It's all in fun, though.

Now being a smart ass is something I understand very well. :pot_stir: What's really going to be fun is having our little 10 second car. :drive:

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13187)
I'll be there Sunday if you want me to take a look. We can also pull a head and see what style of valve relief the pistons have. If they have the four half moon style the biggest valve we can run is a 1.94 which is what my AFR 165s have. If they have two larger reliefs then we can run 2.02 which is what the AFR 185 comes with.

Sounds good. Then I can let Troy know all he needs to know to assemble the heads.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 08:50 PM

Blower Carb

Is this the kind of little Gucci bastard you're talking about?

There also seems to be Mighty Demon and Mighty Demon Barry Grant Blower Carbs (as above). Are there good sources to maybe get these refurbished or some a bit less?

joedls 01-09-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13195)
Is this the kind of little Gucci bastard you're talking about?

There also seems to be Mighty Demon and Mighty Demon Barry Grant Blower Carbs (as above). Are there good sources to maybe get these refurbished or some a bit less?

Hahaha. Yeah, they are kinda pricey bastards.

Vettezuki 01-09-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13196)
Hahaha. Yeah, they are kinda pricey bastards.

I'm sure they're quite well made and worth the price really. It's just a matter of exploring options and budget control. I need to look at all other likely expenses. One thing is for sure, once this thing is put together, I want it to work repeatedly and reliably. I don't want to dick around with a carburetor after every run because I saved a couple hundred bucks. RX-Snake will be a hot lapping brawler.

joedls 01-11-2009 07:12 PM

So, did you guys pull a head and see what kind of pistons you're dealing with? See what you could scavenge to use on the new heads?

94cobra69ss396 01-11-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13246)
So, did you guys pull a head and see what kind of pistons you're dealing with? See what you could scavenge to use on the new heads?

No, I forgot about it until I just read this. I did start to pull the water pump and timing cover so we could check to see if there was a P/N on the cam but Ben doesn't have a harmonic balancer puller so we couldn't do it. If Ben can pull a head and take a picture I can tell you wha they are.

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 01:35 AM

BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

joedls 01-12-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13285)
BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

That's it. The pan and the pick-up.

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13175)
Glenn, did you say you had a carb that could be used, or know where we could get one that would be appropriate on the cheap? I'm assuming we could get a used one, and somebody here could rebuild it and set it up for our purpose.

What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going.:) I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.:judge:

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13294)
What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going.:) I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.:judge:

I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?

joedls 01-12-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13313)
I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?

Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13318)
Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.

Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

joedls 01-12-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13319)
Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

I'll take some pics tonight when I get home.

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13318)

Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb. :drink:

joedls 01-12-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13333)
Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb. :drink:

Yeah, we used to have distributors with points in them, too. Doesn't mean I still wanna do it.

BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!! :rolling::rolling::rolling:

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13343)
BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!! :rolling::rolling::rolling:

You say that here, but can you say that to me in person????:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Actually points are a VERY reliable way to go.:judge:

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13348)
You say that here, but can you say that to me in person????:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Most things are pretty reliable . . . when they're working properly. :leaving:

joedls 01-12-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13348)

Sure. Remind me to tell you next time I see you. Wait, you won't have to remind me. I'll just look at you and remember that you're old. :rolling:

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13353)
Sure. Remind me to tell you next time I see you. Wait, you won't have to remind me. I'll just look at you and remember that you're old. :rolling:

I should have plenty of time to think of a good come back by that time.:sm_laughing:

I actually used dual points untill 2004. :motorsmile:

joedls 01-12-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13356)
I should have plenty of time to think of a good come back by that time.:sm_laughing:

I actually used dual points untill 2004. :motorsmile:

Yeah, the mind isn't as sharp as you get older. How old are you, BTW? I bet I'm not much younger?

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13358)
Yeah, the mind isn't as sharp as you get older. How old are you, BTW? I bet I'm not much younger?

Born in 1951:leaving:

94cobra69ss396 01-12-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13359)

Look on the bright side Glenn. Your a year younger than my dad. :sm_laughing:

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13361)
Look on the brite side Glenn. Your a year yonger than my dad. :sm_laughing:

Damn you could call me Dad.............just don't.:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Me mum was born in 51. :judge: Look on the bright side, 100 years from now we're probably all dust and it won't matter anyway.

gunfish 01-12-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Thank God someone on here is older than me!:p

joedls 01-12-2009 08:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13319)

As requested