Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Leedom blew a head gasket on his wife's Santa Fe (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39966)

Leedom 06-14-2012 01:52 PM

Parts ordered:
Head Gasket Set
Head Bolt Set
Radiator
Radiators Hoses (upper and lower)
Thermostat w/ seal
Water Pump w/ gasket
Timing Belt Set
Serp. Belts
Spark Plugs
Coolant (2gal)

Way lower than Firestone wanted. Checked out Rock Auto and was not going to worry about a few $$ here and there so I went with Ed's Auto Parts. I will be picking them up on my way out to Ron's next Saturday. Then the "fun" begins.

Shaolin Crane 06-14-2012 03:21 PM

Who did you talk to at Ed's?

blackax 06-14-2012 04:35 PM

If you need an extra pair of hands I should be free to help you guys out.

Shaolin Crane 06-14-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 98923)

You never text me back foo

blackax 06-14-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 98926)
You never text me back foo

Yes I did it just took 6 hours lol

Leedom 06-15-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 98923)

I would not turn down an extra set of hands. Just keep them off my wife's headlights! :sm_laughing:

Saturday the 23rd is the first planned day. I will be getting to Ed's around 8 so I should be at Ron's by 9-9:30. Since I already paid for everything it should just be a pick-up and leave.

Leedom 06-15-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 98918)
Who did you talk to at Ed's?

Don't remember... I talked to 2 guys because I called twice. They were both cool and I forgot to mention timing belt and water pump and they asked me if I needed those too. It is just so easy to call a place and they know what you need or might need and don't ask you a million retarded questions. Their prices are great too!!

Shaolin Crane 06-15-2012 06:17 PM

They really are the best parts store i've dealt with, they're also practically family.

enkeivette 06-16-2012 02:25 PM

Just buy an aluminum straight edge and put it on them and see if they warped. Machine shops can take off a lot if they are... but if its an OHC motor make sure the cams dont rock.

Dodge wanted 4800 to do my moms car, needless to say I took a few days off and did it. The prices they charge are unconscionable. And they have the nerve to pay their mechanics less than $20 an hour. Assholes.

Shaolin Crane 06-16-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 99003)
Just buy an aluminum straight edge and put it on them and see if they warped. Machine shops can take off a lot if they are... but if its an OHC motor make sure the cams dont rock.

Dodge wanted 4800 to do my moms car, needless to say I took a few days off and did it. The prices they charge are unconscionable. And they have the nerve to pay their mechanics less than $20 an hour. Assholes.

I already talked to Dick. its $30 to surface each head, remember they're MLS head gaskets and the smoother the surface the less of a chance they will blow again.