Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   93 GMC Typhoon (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31954)

Damian 12-12-2011 04:41 PM

The seller also hooked me up with a billet MSD distributor. Im happier now.

Good thing my unemployment card is coming in this week, Ill have this motor rebuilt fairly soon!

Damian 01-09-2012 11:59 PM

My inlaws have a 98 Jeep Wrangler that my worthless sister inlaw overheated, blowing the head gasket. My father inlaw told me if I fix it, I can use it until I get my new money pit fixed. So yesterday and today I tore the head off, replaced the head gasket, water pump, thermostat, plugs/wires, cap/rotor and all the needed gaskets for about $100 and about 6-7 hours worth of work with no power tools. Truck started on the first try even after jump starting it for about 1 minute. Runs so much smoother now than it ever has since they've had it. I'm going to check the timing when I get home, and probably change out the coil.

I should make my sister inlaw cough up the money for the parts, but that will never happen. She is the definition of a typical Californian, lazy and expects everyone else to take care of her 25 year old ass.

Shaolin Crane 01-10-2012 01:02 AM

Sounds like my sister

Vettezuki 01-10-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 90546)
Sounds like my sister

You have a sister?

Damian 01-10-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 90546)
Sounds like my sister

Thats actually hard to believe that there is another person out there in this world as worthless as my sister inlaw. If she is, I feel sorry for you and your parents.

mdpalmer 01-10-2012 07:34 PM

awesome

I just caught this thread (just read ur first post, haven't gone thru whole thing yet)... soooo badass. This thing and a syclone are just awesome. I would love to have either one. Nice find man!!!!

Shaolin Crane 01-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 90547)
You have a sister?

Unfortunately, I dont even talk to her. Just like her mother
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 90601)
Thats actually hard to believe that there is another person out there in this world as worthless as my sister inlaw. If she is, I feel sorry for you and your parents.

She is so worthless I know 8 year old students of mine that are more civilized and productive then her.

sinaSRT-4 01-11-2012 12:12 AM

Typhoon or Syclones are just awesome machines! Those are very hard to find. Great job on the new addition. :D

Damian 01-11-2012 04:53 PM

You can find them for sale more now since people are hurting for money, its just a matter of price and condition. These are known for rusting, mine luckily doesnt have much rust at all, only on the under carriage.

Damian 01-11-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 90609)
She is so worthless I know 8 year old students of mine that are more civilized and productive then her.

My 2 year old daughter cleans up after herself better than my 24 year old sister inlaw. Seriously, I cant even stand to be around her anymore. It sickens me how worthless she is and my inlaws enable her too. Im doinmg whatever it takes to prevent my daughter from turniong out like her.

Damian 01-11-2012 09:05 PM

The Jeep has 222, 3?? miles on it, and it shows. The radiator is also leaking, so I just picked up a new one off ebay for $78 shipped. That should conclude the engine work for awhile. The trans and diffs oil need to be changed here soon too.

Damian 01-13-2012 09:58 PM

The radiator works great, now the CEL is on. Yay!!

Leedom 01-14-2012 01:03 AM

Hopefully it is not major. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Damian 01-15-2012 01:17 AM

It's a misfire cylinder #2. It's not the plug, wire, cap/rotor, or the injector. Compression test was only 78psi. It's not eating oil, so it's a bad valve. I'll look for some used valves and swap them out later on.

fiveohwblow 02-01-2012 12:26 PM

Spotted this gorgeous Typhoon whilst in Seattle this weekend

N8Dogg98 02-01-2012 01:39 PM

That's a fine looking automobile good sir

fiveohwblow 02-01-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8Dogg98 (Post 91742)
That's a fine looking automobile good sir

He lives! Yeah, saw it and though of this thread. Thing was spotless... lights are the only turnoff but easy to replace...

Damian 02-01-2012 09:11 PM

I need to fix this damn thing!! I dont have a lot of extra income flowing in, so thats killing me. Its killing me even more that I have a $10k truck just sitting there that I bought not that long ago. Now, Im moving next door, school is in full force, kid on the way, kid I have now, and a wife thats going to pop within 3 months.

Just going to fix the engine with what the parts that I have. Then Im only going to repaint it, then focus on the suspension and brakes and then work on tuning. Should be around 400awhp with about 18-20 psi.

N8Dogg98 02-02-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohwblow (Post 91743)
He lives! Yeah, saw it and though of this thread. Thing was spotless... lights are the only turnoff but easy to replace...

Looks like a transformer with contact lenses

Shaolin Crane 02-02-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 91764)
I need to fix this damn thing!! I dont have a lot of extra income flowing in, so thats killing me. Its killing me even more that I have a $10k truck just sitting there that I bought not that long ago. Now, Im moving next door, school is in full force, kid on the way, kid I have now, and a wife thats going to pop within 3 months.

Just going to fix the engine with what the parts that I have. Then Im only going to repaint it, then focus on the suspension and brakes and then work on tuning. Should be around 400awhp with about 18-20 psi.

Paint it last.

Damian 02-03-2012 12:12 AM

I wont paint it for awhile. I want to put a cowl hood on it, maybe, then paint it. I kinda want to mold the widebody parts to the actually body for a cleaner look.

Damian 02-20-2012 12:15 PM

I finally pulled the head off of the Typhoon and found I did the same thing to this that I did to my Eclipse, I broke a piston. Like the Eclipse, the missing piece is long gone and made no damage to anything. So I got a used piston with rings for $40 shipped. Now Im waitng for a vendor on the Typhoon boards to get me a price on all the gaskets I need. So those new pistons I bought are just going to be put on hold for awhile, until my motor blows up again. Which knowing my luck, isnt too far down the road. As long as its after the wife goes back to work, thats fine with me.

Shaolin Crane 02-20-2012 07:05 PM

Call Ed's for a price on the parts...

Damian 02-20-2012 08:22 PM

Im gonna have to, none of the Typhoon vendors are responding to me. If I dont get anything by the end of tomorrow, Ill call them Wednesday.

Damian 02-23-2012 07:26 PM

Guy, I got all the gaskets from them but the plenum gasket, which no one has, not even the dealership. Ended up cutting out my own, mad tight custom yo!!! It's not perfect, but will definitely work. Got my new/used piston in today, thing looks brand new actually. Now I'm just waiting for my head gasket to come in and I need new radiator hoses. If I don't get anything from summitracing about my head gasket tomorrow morning, I'll just pick one up from Ed's when I pick up my other gaskets tomorrow. I might actually get this thing running this weekend.

Shaolin Crane 02-23-2012 07:47 PM

Ed's is the shit.

Damian 02-23-2012 10:34 PM

Fuck, I forgot I broke the EGR valve and I haven't ordered one yet. Hopefully Ed's has one or can get one quick.

Shaolin Crane 02-23-2012 11:44 PM

Most parts are within the hour, if you call before 9 they can have it by 11:30, so on and so forth.

Damian 02-24-2012 06:58 PM

This truck is giving me a headache. I have to drop the front axle to get the oil pan off. I have one bolt that is just killing me right now. The nut is inside the frame and I can't hold the wrench and turn the ratchet at the same time.

Damian 02-25-2012 11:20 PM

The axle is not easy to pull out at all, I have to disassemble half of the front end to get it out. I should have the motor pulled out tomorrow and I'll be replacing both head gaskets. I might just have the block bored out for the new pistons since I have it out already.

Shaolin Crane 02-26-2012 01:25 AM

IIRC it's about $110-120 for a bore package from Pacific Engine.

Damian 02-26-2012 11:56 AM

I better tear the engine down then.

Damian 02-26-2012 10:08 PM

All of those pieces fell out as soon as I pushed the piston out. Im going to look closer at the cylinder walls, I might just bore it out anyways. I have to have the wrist pins pressed out and in the new piston anyways, might as well have them pressed into the new ones.

Shaolin Crane 02-26-2012 10:30 PM

Yeah its cheap, like $3 a piston to have them hung.

I'd see what they can hook you up with as far as the whole shortblock.

Damian 02-26-2012 11:04 PM

Could you please? This motor was a bitch to pull out and I really don't want to do it again unless I absolutely have to. I would like to just have them do the bottom end, the heads look just fine actually.

Damian 02-27-2012 09:28 AM

I have to get the cylinders bored out. There is some unusual wear where the bad part of the piston was. Its not bad, but I really dont want to pull thos motor again.

Shaolin Crane 02-27-2012 10:36 AM

Did you buy new rods yet? If not might be time to just ante up and get some. Even if it means it sits for a bit more.

Damian 02-27-2012 10:13 PM

Do you have to use a special pulley puller for the A/C compressor? I want to clean up and paint the huge bracket it sits on but the pulley is in the way of the bolts. I did the water pump and p/s bracket already.

Damian 02-28-2012 07:01 PM

Dropping the motor off on Thursday.

Shaolin Crane 02-28-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 93117)
Do you have to use a special pulley puller for the A/C compressor? I want to clean up and paint the huge bracket it sits on but the pulley is in the way of the bolts. I did the water pump and p/s bracket already.

You can use a 3 prong puller but go VERY slow so you dont damage the magnet.