Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1988 Mustang GT "Max" Project freebox (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28546)

Shaolin Crane 08-19-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 81509)
What size valves are those? Did you install new valves or are the ones that were already in the heads?

1.94/1.54 They were already installed in the heads, and they are the J302 valves, stainless, and longer in length than the stock valves, IIRC the stock valves barely have enough lift for .550. These are slightly longer and allow for up to .600 lift with less chance of binding cause the springs have 1 less coil than most springs. So we cheated and pulled the inner springs from my AFR springs and Shawn modified the spring seats a bit and used Ti guides. But i didnt have to buy new valve springs, though i forget what seat pressure came out to. I *think* it was around 140lb on the nose.

I still need to find the FRPP guide plates or run the shitty adjustable guide plates since they are no longer pedestal mount. We'll see how long it takes, hardened pushrods and a e303 is still on the bill.

Shaolin Crane 08-20-2011 11:18 PM

This weekends workings, dismounted the doors, Vanessa did an awesome job at sanding the engine bay, door jambs and hatch area. I had to go back and sand off the flash rust and do some more body work. Also had to fix the bowing roof problem i had since the expanding foam the factory used had deteriorated and was no longer attached causing some pretty bad oil canning. Unfortunately i forgot to take pics of it, i'll do that tomorrow, sadly I dont think its going to make it to primer tomorrow, just not enough experience with bondo.

94cobra69ss396 08-21-2011 10:50 AM

It's looking good.

Shaolin Crane 08-21-2011 11:37 AM

Thanks, Lets hope it stays that way, still have ALOT of work to do, gotta start on the interior portions of the doors and remove this crap, looks like bondo thats been brushed on, that or sound deadener thats quite hard. Hopefully i'll have funds for bumper covers and a hood in my future

Shaolin Crane 08-24-2011 12:53 AM

Painted the heads today, for whatever reason they dont make a silver engine enamyl, only an aluminum color that looks kinda like cheap chrome, so i went over it afterwards with clear to dull the paint. First pic is without clear, also took some pics of the intake gasket on Rons intake to compare to show how much my heads have been opened up.

Shaolin Crane 08-26-2011 12:01 AM

Well last night and today was a cluster fuck, still too pissed off to even talk about. Anyways, my paint guy stopped by to give me some bondo lessons and too look over my other work, he even was so gracious to give me a few gallons of polly primer, some, epoxy primer and some sealer, all i need to do is buy the base and clear, he even gave me a couple yards of various sand paper. Cool dude and does AMAZING work, usually does all my paint work for me but he is working on my girlfriends dads 356 and has a few other cars going so that why im doing it all.

Here are a few pics

Vettezuki 08-26-2011 12:35 AM

:popcorn:

94cobra69ss396 08-26-2011 07:20 AM

That wheel lip looks so much better. Did he do it or did he have you do it and guided you through it?

Shaolin Crane 08-26-2011 08:29 AM

Little of both, he layed the first layer of bondo and showed me how to block it into shape. I did the next few layers of metal glaze to build up the bowed portion of steel in the center. I have on more pass with the metal glaze to fill in the pinholes and low spots but other than that i think the fender is done, gotta do the 2 large spots on the roof still, but those are flat and can be handled easily

Shaolin Crane 09-05-2011 11:13 PM

Little progress, but still progress none the less, tried to get the engine out of the car but seems someone at the shop stole my ac repair bag with my quick connect tools in it, so everything is "out" but not quite.

Anyways, scored some OE svo/crane 1.72 rockers for a measly $120, now just need an intake and misc odds and ends before assembly can start.
Pics pics pics

Shaolin Crane 09-06-2011 11:08 PM

Ordered my head gaskets, sad i payed more for them than the rockers, buggars are $90 each. Still need to find a dirt cheap cam, but i think i can hit 500rwhp at 14lbs on a stock cam advanced

94cobra69ss396 09-07-2011 07:21 AM

Run the stock cam.

Shaolin Crane 09-07-2011 09:07 AM

Talked to my builder today and he gave me a contact for his cam grinder down the street. $70 and i can have any spec ground i want, going to do a similar grind to the TFS with some minor tweaks, 221/221 .510/510 112* comes out to .530/.530 with a 1.72. That way i can take full advantage of all the head work and springs installed, my main concern with the stock cam is the power falling off at 5200, anyways we'll see what happens.

Also order my head and main studs along with the adjustable guide plates. Almost there still need an intake, im going to sneak over to Rons house at night and steal his :jester:

Shaolin Crane 09-09-2011 10:20 AM

So after narrowing down specs and options i *think* i have a cam chosen
.544/.544
218/218
114 center
Will take full advantage of my heads and give me a nice low end range and still make power to 5800-6000 and still pass the sniffer.

Shaolin Crane 09-12-2011 01:48 AM

Got the engine out today, and as i tore it down more and more did i realize i should just rebuild the fucking thing, there was a bunch of shit in the oil pick up, dont know what it is, but its really spongy and there were some metal chunks that i cant figure out where they came from, so i tore it down and hot tanked it. Gonna take everything over tuesday to my builder so he can check it out for me.

Here is the shit i found in the oil pickup

Shaolin Crane 09-14-2011 11:56 AM

In case any of you were wondering, this is pretty much the kit i purchased, only for about 1k
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...on.php?pvk=742
Also took the block to my machinist, $180 for new pistons, cam bearings, tapping to 1/2" hardware, tank, line hone, bore, and clearance of the pistons.

94cobra69ss396 09-14-2011 04:07 PM

You be happier having a fresh short block.

Shaolin Crane 09-14-2011 04:52 PM

Obviously, but i was fine running the old one, cause chances are i would have blown it up before i wore it out.

Shaolin Crane 09-18-2011 02:38 PM

So I believe i have done the biggest fuck up in my auto motive life. After spending a good 10 hours masking, sanding, tacking, cleaning blah blah blah i laid my 3 layers of poly primer only to remember in the morning I had forgot to add the hardener, so lots of primer wasted and now i have to do 3 times the work to get back to where i was before i sanded, fuck my life. I have lost all interest in the car currently and likey will let it just sit for a few months while i save for the bumpers and other shit

Damian 09-18-2011 07:15 PM

I hate it when you do something like that. I've had a few moments where I've spent hours on something only to forget something or broke something that requires tons of work to fix.

Shaolin Crane 09-19-2011 09:42 AM

Yup, very angry with myself. Started wiping off what i could in the engine bay and hatch piece. Even with gallons and gallons of MEK its still a pain and makes a huge mess. Then i'll have to resand everything again, i'll likely not forget to add hardener again, i hope...

Took the crank over to be checked out and just like the rest of the engine it is worn out, needs to be ground down. So i'll have a completely new engine once it goes in the car, i guess now i have a reason to keep the boost down.

Damian 09-19-2011 07:12 PM

Are you going to get it lightened and balanced at the same time?

Shaolin Crane 09-19-2011 09:11 PM

Nope, dont need too. Having it lightened would require a rebalance, only reason to have it lightened would be if i was spinning big rpm but im not with this one. It will have maybe a max power range of 6000, where the stock redline is 6250. So im still sticking with the budget theme and only doing whats really needed. So far the rebuild has cost me...
$180 for the pistons, tank, bore, hone, tap to 1/2", clearance the pistons, and hanging of the rods.
$200 head studs, main studs, adjustable guide plates, timing chain
$180 head gaskets
$70 cam grind
$320 for head work, porting, valve job, etc
$120 rockers
$100 molly rings and bearings

Still need various gaskets, pushrods and an intake then im all set, far over budget but the piece of mind for a new engine is nice, plus it will run hard without the vortech and be an obsolute monster after it.
Figure 9.3:1 at 14psi with a charge cooler will be about 500-550rwhp and about 410-430rwtq for under 2k, not bad at all.

Shaolin Crane 10-02-2011 03:44 AM

So i took about a week off to recoupe my feelings towards the car, I have about 70% of the primer removed just the last 30% is on the doors and is in some difficult places to get to and all requires hand sanding then MEK to remove the excess. Thankfully I have Ron, Erik, and David coming over tomorrow to help me knock it out. I figure the 4 of us will be able to make some major head way in only a couple hours and I can focus on getting everything re-prepped again for my body man to come down and do the finish work on everything, still lots of various things that need to be finished before this upcoming friday. Once the body work is done we'll prime the entire car and then move to painting the bay, jambs, doors and hatch. This way i can re-assemble the car and start getting some shop space back while starting on the wiring and interior. It'll likely be around feb that i get all the needed body panels.

Today I finished up the front dent on the roof, back dent is about done and so is the fender lip, Tony will finish those though. Pic time

Also got my pistons back

Still waiting on the block, should be done by friday, any one want to donate some rings, bearings and studs? :smack:

Shaolin Crane 10-02-2011 07:43 PM

So I have to start off with a huge thanks to Ron, Erik, and David. They came down and helped me for the better part of the day sanding, scrubbing and wiping i'd say they is 15% or less on the car now and it gave me a little time to fix the huge dent and wrinkle in the other side of the fender. Tomorrow i'll take a day since mondays usually consist of huge amounts of homework for Vaness, grocery shopping, preparing food for the week, etc. Tuesday however i'll finish the rest of the jambs and start sanding again. Wednesday i'll smooth everything together and etch it all in prep for friday, then hopefully i'll get some color on it and start assembly again. Pics to come later as the night ones didnt turn out very well.

94cobra69ss396 10-03-2011 07:23 AM

You're welcome.

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 05:38 PM

Almost there

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 09:53 PM

More pics

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 09:57 PM

Builder also hooked me up with some molly rings for $40, just need my head and main studs and re-assembly can begin.

Shaolin Crane 10-08-2011 08:10 PM

So its been a pretty good weekend so far scored this for $150 shipped...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3821/

94cobra69ss396 10-08-2011 09:17 PM

I want pictures of the one you got and of the TB.

Shaolin Crane 10-09-2011 03:04 AM

94cobra69ss396 10-09-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 84436)

Nice. Where is the intake broken?

Shaolin Crane 10-09-2011 05:02 PM

Back left mounting ear.

94cobra69ss396 10-09-2011 05:41 PM

On the lower or on the upper?

Shaolin Crane 10-09-2011 07:44 PM

Upper

Shaolin Crane 10-12-2011 08:35 PM

this came today...

94cobra69ss396 10-13-2011 11:01 AM

Are you going to port it?

Shaolin Crane 10-13-2011 12:58 PM

Yeah, when Shawn ported my heads i payed him for the porting on the intake, just a matter of healing and being able to get over there.

I have tonsillitis and somehow hurt my shoulder without actually doing anything, the pain is so excruciating that i cant even breath, much less sleep or even eat, going to the doctor again today.

Shaolin Crane 10-16-2011 01:04 AM

So i'm mobile but still in pain, but i have too much to do to be a bum all weekend, progress so far

Remachined the throttle body surface since some jackwaggon jb-welded the egr spacer and throttle body on