Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is this the peak of the modern muscle cars? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193)

Vettezuki 04-16-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 1692)
LOL, I never said we should get rid of our cars. I just said we should try reduce C02 and energy use where possible. I drive my car 6k miles a year, and it will EASILY pass smog. It burns very clean. With the pulley and tune, it'll probably burn even cleaner(and burn gas way faster....). Besides, do as I say, not as I do :sm_laughing:

I'm sorry, I must be confused when you say you want to reduce CO2. The reason to pulley your supercharger is to spin faster to bring in more O2 for the engine to burn. By definition you will produce more CO2 . . . period. Is it possible to not run a pulley, thereby emitting less CO2? Is that not reasonable?

Now see, we're getting to the crux of the biscuit: you've said we should do reasonable things to reduce CO2 production, but have exempted yourself with regards to something you personally find fun. It's almost as good as an "environmentalist" running a gutted cat . . . (**)

BRUTAL64 04-16-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 1692)
LOL, I never said we should get rid of our cars. I just said we should try reduce C02 and energy use where possible. I drive my car 6k miles a year, and it will EASILY pass smog. It burns very clean. With the pulley and tune, it'll probably burn even cleaner(and burn gas way faster....). Besides, do as I say, not as I do :sm_laughing:

I reduce CO2s by walking to work.:judge:

SeanPlunk 04-16-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1694)
I'm sorry, I must be confused when you say you want to reduce CO2. The reason to pulley your supercharger is to spin faster to bring in more O2 for the engine to burn. By definition you will produce more CO2 . . . period. Is it possible to not run a pulley, thereby emitting less CO2? Is that not reasonable?

Now see, we're getting to the crux of the biscuit: you've said we should do reasonable things to reduce CO2 production, but have exempted yourself with regards to something you personally find fun. It's almost as good as an "environmentalist" running a gutted cat . . . (**)

Of course you're correct, but I rationalize it by saying that no matter what car I drive currently I will be producing C02, so because I drive so little I might as well have a fun car. Besides, my carbon footprint is relatively small, so it's okay, right? :confused:

Vettezuki 04-16-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 1696)
Of course you're correct, but I rationalize it by saying that no matter what car I drive currently I will be producing C02, so because I drive so little I might as well have a fun car. Besides, my carbon footprint is relatively small, so it's okay, right? :confused:

It's a fair rationalization, albeit ideologically inconsistent. My concern is that if certain interests gain sufficient power, we will not have the choice to find our own balance in life as you have. The government in their infinite wisdom of social planning/engineering will determine what is acceptable and necessary for you as an individual so as to achieve certain societal goals. I'm not kidding about the slow progression towards a "Brave New World" scenario. I want no part of it. It lacks beauty in every natural sense.

gunfish 04-16-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1694)

Hey Ben, I thought the crux of the biscuit was the apostrophe?

Vettezuki 04-16-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunfish (Post 1698)
Hey Ben, I thought the crux of the biscuit was the apostrophe?

You know, I almost wrote that, but I thought Sean might get really confused . . . :smack:

SeanPlunk 04-16-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1699)
You know, I almost wrote that, but I thought Sean might get really confused . . . :smack:

Yeah, you did lose me, I had to look it up. Frank Zappa is before my time :judge:

Vettezuki 04-16-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 1701)
Yeah, you did lose me, I had to look it up. Frank Zappa is before my time :judge:

He's before my time too. But I can't be too harsh on someone who thinks Jamiroquai is a "great" band. Ah just teasing.

Anywho, back on subject. In the next week or so I hope to read through the Lieberman-Warner bill. I'll try to keep an open-mind, but it looks like it my be the worst of all my fears about Government trying to "save the world". Big Business ain't stupid, they'll extract massive amounts of cash out of it, meanwhile, Joe Six Pack may as well get the Astroglide out.

SeanPlunk 04-17-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 1705)
He's before my time too. But I can't be too harsh on someone who thinks Jamiroquai is a "great" band. Ah just teasing.

Anywho, back on subject. In the next week or so I hope to read through the Lieberman-Warner bill. I'll try to keep an open-mind, but it looks like it my be the worst of all my fears about Government trying to "save the world". Big Business ain't stupid, they'll extract massive amounts of cash out of it, meanwhile, Joe Six Pack may as well get the Astroglide out.

Lieberman is crazy, I just saw him offering to go speak on behalf of McCain at the Republican convention. The crazy part is that he's AS LIBERAL AS IT GETS, unless it has something to do with Israel and then he gets uber conservative. I really don't like him at all.

Vettezuki 04-17-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 1727)
Lieberman is crazy, I just saw him offering to go speak on behalf of McCain at the Republican convention. The crazy part is that he's AS LIBERAL AS IT GETS, unless it has something to do with Israel and then he gets uber conservative. I really don't like him at all.

This is a radically different subject . . . start a new thread. To be honest, I don't know all of his record on Israel, but I have fairly strong opinions on the subject of Israel. (Are you surprised?)