Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Transmission (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063)

Vettezuki 02-23-2009 07:51 PM

Sequential Shifter

Oky doky, this is the kind of thing where some extra dough from the outside would make something at a higher level possible.

If we buy a new, basic Hurst shifter and install kit, it's about $300. However, there is a pretty slick sequential shifter setup for the Top Loader. Guess what? It's more. Like $700. But banging through gears sequentially with just a push or pull would be pretty awesome. Pretty much like this guy. :drive:

Check it out:
http://www.renagate.com/

Vettezuki 03-01-2009 01:00 AM

Update

It looks like we're going to have a sponsorship that will allow us to use this shifter. Details to come shortly once worked out. :getdown:

BRUTAL64 03-02-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 16609)
It looks like we're going to have a sponsorship that will allow us to use this shifter. Details to come shortly once worked out. :getdown:

So, you're going BIG TIME?:rolleyes:

Vettezuki 03-02-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 16716)
So, you're going BIG TIME?:rolleyes:

In a very small way. :laugh:

BRUTAL64 03-02-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 16717)
In a very small way. :laugh:

Tiny steps.;)

94cobra69ss396 03-03-2009 09:40 PM

I got the trans cross member done tonight but I hope it will work. Joe, can you tell me if this is how the trans lines up with the shifter hole on your Mustang? I bolted the engine and trans together and set them in the car then tried to line them up using the SBC/T5 cross members as a guide. I set the engine as far back as I could so hopefully it will all work well.

This is a picture looking down through the shifter hole in the floor.

Rear view of the cross member.

Another angle.

Passenger side of cross member.

Drivers side.

Tailshaft looking up.

Drivers side of trans.

Drivers side of engine.

Passenger side of engine.

Vettezuki 03-03-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 16914)
. . .

Looking at the way these shifter attach to that plate, the stick ain't coming up through the hole. But never fear, we have hole expanding technology!

94cobra69ss396 03-04-2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 16919)
Looking at the way these shifter attach to that plate, the stick ain't coming up through the hole. But never fear, we have hole expanding technology!

I centered the trans in the transmission tunnel. If the trans were a T5 the shifter bolt to the top of the trans. Do we know if the shift is off to the side on the Top Loader or does it bolt to the side and end up above the trans center on top? I can offset the trans to the passenger side but I would also have to offset the engine as well.

joedls 03-04-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 16914)
I got the trans cross member done tonight but I hope it will work. Joe, can you tell me if this is how the trans lines up with the shifter hole on your Mustang? I bolted the engine and trans together and set them in the car then tried to line them up using the SBC/T5 cross members as a guide. I set the engine as far back as I could so hopefully it will all work well.

I have a T5 in my 65 Mustang and an automatic in the 68. To tell you the truth, I can't remember how the toploader lined up. It was too long ago, but I'm pretty sure it is centered in the tunnel. And actually that hole doesn't appear to be that far off. I think you'd have to open it up a little, but not much. Here's a pic of a shifter for a toploader on a 66 Mustang.

Vettezuki 03-04-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 16942)
I centered the trans in the transmission tunnel. If the trans were a T5 the shifter bolt to the top of the trans. Do we know if the shift is off to the side on the Top Loader or does it bolt to the side and end up above the trans center on top? I can offset the trans to the passenger side but I would also have to offset the engine as well.

See post 21 in this thread for the way the shifter will mount.