Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   SoCal Car Shows, Meets, Cruises, Racing (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Someone organize a salt flat run. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12953)

enkeivette 02-09-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 44623)
I am fu*king Rain Man.

Southern California Timing Association.

El Mirage is the place in CA, not far at all. May 15-16 is their next event.

Well. . . now what?

That is sooo close to my finals! I think I might be out by then, by like a day. Schedule it! If I'm out by then I'm down.

They might need a permit to run there though. :confused:

enkeivette 02-09-2010 07:15 PM

We should be able to run too... since we have a specific scientific purpose to run there, I don't see why not. :D

enkeivette 02-09-2010 07:17 PM

This is one time when I might make the exception to fill up with race gas. I wouldn't want to melt another piston running under full boost in overdrive.

Chuck 02-09-2010 08:16 PM

I have been there its not that far and it has a pretty large open area although it is hard dirt not asphalt so I don't know how much that will affect top speeds.

enkeivette 02-09-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 44629)
I have been there its not that far and it has a pretty large open area although it is hard dirt not asphalt so I don't know how much that will affect top speeds.

Is it open to the public?!

Chuck 02-09-2010 08:33 PM

Yeah as far as I know. I went back in 07 and we just drove on unloaded our bikes and went riding at that time I had my S-10 programed and I got that bad boy up to about 110 or so. I think there are rangers but I think I may have seen one the entire day.

Vettezuki 02-09-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 44629)

dirt<salt<asphalt

Vettezuki 02-09-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 44632)
Is it open to the public?!

As far as I know to it is public land open to public use. What rules apply exactly and how they're enforced I have no idea.

Of course it's wiser to do it with the timing organization as you will get a certified, no BS time, and there will be useful add-ons like emergency medical personnel and fire suppression experts.

enkeivette 02-09-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 44635)
dirt<salt<asphalt

Maybe we should limit this trip to only those with Z rated tires or better.

Vettezuki 02-09-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 44639)
Maybe we should limit this trip to only those with Z rated tires or better.

The org does tech inspections and puts people into various categories. Asumming it's like the salt flats you have to move up progressively; you don't just go an drop the hammer on your first run. :nutkick: