Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Derailers Anonymous (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34166)

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 11:10 AM

Throw the soda, and give her the tip to Bob and weave. Life long

enkeivette 07-29-2013 11:13 AM

On that note, AMERICANS, tip on service. Not on the bill. First of all we are the only people who feel that a tip is required, it's not like that in other countries.

Second, if you order $40 worth of steak and lobster over a $12 hamburger, your waitress didn't do anything to deserve a larger tip. Especially when she has a food runner bring you the entrees.

Third, I've been a waiter at 2 restaurants now. They go home with a few hundred dollars in cash on the weekends... AND THEN THEY GET THEIR PAYCHECKS. Don't feel bad for them, they make good money for what they do.

If they suck, that needs to be reflected in the tip. I will tip anywhere from 35% - nothing, good service, cheap meal deserves a larger tip. Expensive meal, poor service, deserves nothing. Remember that.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118721)
On that note, AMERICANS, tip on service. Not on the bill. First of all we are the only people who feel that a tip is required, it's not like that in other countries.

Second, if you order $40 worth of steak and lobster over a $12 hamburger, your waitress didn't do anything to deserve a larger tip. Especially when she has a food runner bring you the entrees.

Third, I've been a waiter at 2 restaurants now. They go home with a few hundred dollars in cash on the weekends... AND THEN THEY GET THEIR PAYCHECKS. Don't feel bad for them, they make good money for what they do.

If they suck, that needs to be reflected in the tip. I will tip anywhere from 35% - nothing, good service, cheap meal deserves a larger tip. Expensive meal, poor service, deserves nothing. Remember that.

If you travel you should check local customs. It varies. There is no tipping for anything in Japan, but most places that I'm aware of throughout Europe have some tipping for bellhops, taxis, and even food. Just check so you don't end up being the ugly American.

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118726)
If you travel you should check local customs. It varies. There is no tipping for anything in Japan, but most places that I'm aware of throughout Europe have some tipping for bellhops, taxis, and even food. Just check so you don't end up being the ugly American.

China and Japan its an insult to tip. I learned the hard way.

blackax 07-29-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118721)

I agree. I 100% will leave 10$ on a 20$ meal if the service is great and then i might leave .01$ if the service sucked. I have gotten the most hateful looks from servers who have seen me leave .01 as a tip on my credit card. And I tell them if the service was better then i would of tipped better

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 12:29 PM

I'm the samr way, covina has a lot of mom and pop eaters with great food that are cheap. We're talk in full meals for 7-15 for two people. 20% tip would only be sometimes pocket change I'll gladly leave the cost of the bill because the service is bitchen.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 118730)
China and Japan its an insult to tip. I learned the hard way.

I don't know about China, but in Japan, they simply won't accept it and generally assume you made a mistake, or that you just don't know the custom; silly gaijin. I had a friend who once was once chased by a cabby to give him his change back. :jester:

Shaolin Crane 07-29-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118737)
I don't know about China, but in Japan, they simply won't accept it and generally assume you made a mistake, or that you just don't know the custom; silly gaijin. I had a friend who once was once chased by a cabby to give him his change back. :jester:

I use to go to golden dragon festivals in china town and would wear my jacket with My shaolin kung fu *kanji* and they would inquire about me being Sifu. Many times restaurants would not charge me at all or flat out refuse a tip. Maybe just a respect for kung fu traditions.

enkeivette 07-29-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 118726)

Not that they don't want tips in Europe, but that they don't expect them. So I am told.

Vettezuki 07-29-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 118742)
Not that they don't want tips in Europe, but that they don't expect them. So I am told.

This has been my experience.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tipping.htm