Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tickets and Accidents (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Failure to Display Tags (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19225)

tripower 08-23-2010 12:15 AM

The $10 fee is livable for no front plate.

Gary Wells 08-23-2010 08:26 AM

Hey, if you guys that receive what you think is bogus tickets such as no front plates would post what city, parking facility, store name, it might help others such as me to avoid those areas. I have heard that this was going on, but I had no idea that it is going on in the Republik of Kalifornication to the extent that is evidently is. The right (East) coast is having it's share of problems on this issue too. It's just not Kool and it never has been since the early to mid '70's to wear a front plate. Now I am not going to comment on whether I wear a front plate on my vehicle(s) or not.

94cobra69ss396 08-23-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Wells (Post 58012)
Hey, if you guys that receive what you think is bogus tickets such as no front plates would post what city, parking facility, store name, it might help others such as me to avoid those areas. I have heard that this was going on, but I had no idea that it is going on in the Republik of Kalifornication to the extent that is evidently is. The right (East) coast is having it's share of problems on this issue too. It's just not Kool and it never has been since the early to mid '70's to wear a front plate. Now I am not going to comment on whether I wear a front plate on my vehicle(s) or not.

I received mine in front of my house in Fontana all three times.

Gary Wells 08-23-2010 08:57 AM

I don't want to be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable here but it would almost pay you to move. Different LEO each time? Never have I ever been so thankful that I don't live in Fontana.

94cobra69ss396 08-23-2010 09:24 AM

I live in a nice 2400sqft. house in a great neighborhood. I don't think a $10 ticket is worth moving for.

Gary Wells 08-23-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 58018)
I live in a nice 2400sqft. house in a great neighborhood. I don't think a $10 ticket is worth moving for.

J/K, I'm sure that you are right.

injdinjn 08-24-2010 01:37 PM

We all abhor front plates, even me. On some of my cars because they look like $hit and others because of camera enforcement.

But I was just looking at Hot Rod mag and some pics of CA hot rods from the 50's and 60's and even in shows many had front plates on them.

And my 89 GTA has never had a front plate on it and I don't have one to put on even if I wanted to. No plate and no bracket.

94cobra69ss396 08-24-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 58102)
We all abhor front plates, even me. On some of my cars because they look like and others because of camera enforcement.

But I was just looking at Hot Rod mag and some pics of CA hot rods from the 50's and 60's and even in shows many had front plates on them.

And my 89 GTA has never had a front plate on it and I don't have one to put on even if I wanted to. No plate and no bracket.

I just don't want to put holes in my front bumper. I put the front plate back on the Explorer and left it but the bracket I made for the Cobra sticks out about 2 inches further than the bumper. I don't want someone to bump into it.

Shaolin Crane 08-24-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 58103)
I just don't want to put holes in my front bumper. I put the front plate back on the Explorer and left it but the bracket I made for the Cobra sticks out about 2 inches further than the bumper. I don't want someone to bump into it.

thats why i dont have one.

Gary Wells 08-25-2010 07:26 AM

FWIW & IMHO, not wearing a front plate did not become a point of issue, i.e., i.e., until about mid '70's or so. I came across a pic of one of my most cherished hi-po cars that I owned in BFE, Wyoming about '72 or so, (virtually museum quality '69 Plymouth GTX, 440, white exterior with white interior with blue trim, all of the rare options) just a while back, and it wore a front plate.
In about '74 or so, I traded that car for a '70 Dodge Challenger T.A., 340, six-pack, 4 speed, and it also wore a plate. In about '75 or so, in the republik of kali, I bought a '68 Plymouth hemi GTX, and it also wore a front plate. More than likely, wearing a front plate became unkool in about mid to late '70's or so. By early '80's, I no longer owned a car that had a front plate.

94cobra69ss396 08-25-2010 07:32 AM

My Cobra never had a front plate on it ever since new. When I bought the car about 7 years ago it only had a rear plate. When I got the first ticket I had to go to the DMV and turn in my plate to get new ones so I would have both plates. That when I built the mount so I didn't have to put holes in the bumper.

Shaolin Crane 08-25-2010 08:42 AM

Mine had a front plate, then when i had the emblems smoothed on the car i had all the holes filled, now i'll live with the tickets or put it somewhere on the dash.

injdinjn 08-25-2010 07:05 PM

Many 3rd gen guys make a bracket that extends back under the front chin and bolts up under there where ever you can. That way no holes in the front, and the law just states permanently mounted meaning no baling wire or duct tape.
I think the law mentions something about height, but if your bracket mounts the plate at the location of where it would be stock then you are good.

Gary Wells 08-25-2010 07:25 PM

I think that there are even some motorized ones available to be bought, or for DIY's.

Shaolin Crane 08-25-2010 07:52 PM

The flip plate is an option. but i dont think there is anything against putting it on your dash as long as it can be seen

Gary Wells 08-30-2010 05:45 AM

Went to a small cruise last Sat late afternoon-early evening, and saw something that I did not really care for. This was the late Sat afternoon cruise at Bob's Big Boy on Willow in Signal hill. I got there a little early and went in to get something to eat. After an hour or so, cars started coming in and after about 16 or so cars were there, I noticed that I was 1 of about 3 or 4 people that did not have a front plate on my vehicle. Shortly the SHPD cruised through and drove through the area quite slowly. After intently observing the cars, he left.
Never have I seen so many front license plates on the front of, shall we say "Kool" cars.

Shaolin Crane 08-30-2010 08:14 AM

Yeah, i noticed the same thing the other day, still i wont put a plate on my car

Gary Wells 08-30-2010 09:18 AM

BTW, I did not object to the presence of the LEO whatsoever, only the fact that something is definitely changing in regards to the enforcement of front license plates in some areas, maybe all.
I have not noticed the same thing yet in Donut Derelict's of Cars & Coffee - Irvine so I will see if the ratio of front plates to no front plates has change at either one of those places. Mayve this is because of the location of the cruise itself. Signal Hill is known to be pretty rough on some things.

Small White Car 05-02-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 58201)
The flip plate is an option. but i dont think there is anything against putting it on your dash as long as it can be seen

Are you in California?

The flip plate, swinging plate and other types of moveable plate mounts are illegal. So is placing the plate on the dashboard of the car since it is illegal to cover the plate with anything (like a windshield maybe) but on a safety note it's kind of dumb to place a piece of unsecured ALUMINUM on the dashboard of a car in any situation. If you've ever seen the inside of a street driven car after a collision, there is debris in there that you never would have thought would be an issue, no sense in adding to it. Besides, I sure would hate to be decapitated by my safety gear like the airbag on the passenger side.

I feel you guys for sure owning two Miatas, one with and one without front plates, I couldn't bear to go drilling into my car to keep LEO happy.

Slow down and think some and you can find a reasonable and still aesthetically pleasing solution.

Chuck 05-02-2011 02:03 PM

It's aluminium.

Sonic03SVT 05-02-2011 04:39 PM

The only aesthetically pleasing place ive found to mount my front plates is on the wall in my garage. Never liked the way they looked, never used them, thus far *knock on wood* no tickets for it in 10 years.

heypal 05-18-2011 08:17 PM

LOL hey Aaron hows that working out for you?

SeanPlunk 05-18-2011 09:45 PM

LOL, ouch.

SeanPlunk 05-18-2011 10:41 PM

Maybe I should get one of these for cruises...

kdracer73 05-18-2011 10:42 PM

:sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughin g::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laugh ing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_lau ghing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_l aughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm _laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing:: sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::sm_laughing ::sm_laughing::sm_laughing::

jedhead 05-18-2011 11:45 PM

How about this:

http://www.topspeedlabs.com/product_...orsf8jb2mm08v6

Bob

Sonic03SVT 05-19-2011 12:52 AM

you know what the best part is?

Signed off the ticket, came, home, put it back in the garage.

Take that, CHP checkpoint.

Chuck 05-19-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 75270)

Thats sweet I would just hook it up to the accessory and when you start the car it comes out and when you turn it off it goes away. I like it.

Shaolin Crane 05-20-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 73857)
Are you in California?

The flip plate, swinging plate and other types of moveable plate mounts are illegal. So is placing the plate on the dashboard of the car since it is illegal to cover the plate with anything (like a windshield maybe) but on a safety note it's kind of dumb to place a piece of unsecured ALUMINUM on the dashboard of a car in any situation. If you've ever seen the inside of a street driven car after a collision, there is debris in there that you never would have thought would be an issue, no sense in adding to it. Besides, I sure would hate to be decapitated by my safety gear like the airbag on the passenger side.

I feel you guys for sure owning two Miatas, one with and one without front plates, I couldn't bear to go drilling into my car to keep LEO happy.

Slow down and think some and you can find a reasonable and still aesthetically pleasing solution.

No, I live in the republik of kommiefornia. Here's my view on front plates, if its not on my vehicle, I can't view it, exactly how I like it.

There are plenty of things we all have done to our vehicles that is illegal, I'm not going to stop tinting my windows either. Nor am I going to start caring how loud they are, I don't give a shit about plate location, illegal mounting options etc. In the long run its only illegal if you get caught.

No plate on my stang and it will stay like that

GL3 10-03-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56883)
The ticket was left on her car in a parking lot. :mad:

placing on your windshield is improper service. Not required to have tags btw on private property. They may claim it is ok if all entrances to the property say CVC is enforced, but you can still win. By definition, code isn't law or it would be the California Motorvehicle Law, yet is says code. Code only applies to specific groups of people, not everybody, thus you need to ask how the vehicle code applies to you. CVC section 15210 subsection J,L or M, i don't recall exactly but it is way down there, says the definitions in the code apply unless there is a Federal definition. This means the CVC is servient to a federal definition and there must be a constitutional delagation of authority to compel. So how can the fed regulate in the state when we have states rights? i'll get to that shortly. The first thing i learned in law school is: know the definitions so you mean and understand each other. Therefore if you go to Title 18 USC (United States code) section 31, you find the federal definitions. Read the lower right hand corner back of your license. What is a motor vehicle? May not be what you were taught. It is defined as a self propelled device used to transport goods or persons for hire or engaged in commerce. If your weren't performing the above, you weren't in a motor vehicle. BTW the definition of a driver, is one that operates a motor vehicle, so if your weren't hauling goods or persons for hire, you weren't driving as it is a commercial term as is passenger car. Passenger car is a commercial term for one that hauls people for hire, which is typically a taxi or limo. By now you may realize the the CVC is for commerical drivers only. It gets authority by constitution from the commerce clause. On the other hand, you are exorcising your liberty to as stated in the constitution, traveling the nations highways and byways freely and unhindered. If they stop you, which is the same as arrest, just sounds more friendly, you may ask them why have you arrested me? If they say you aren't under arrest, ask am i being detained or am i free to leave. Always ask questions, don't argue, reason or make a statement as it is considered fighing and they they have authority over you.