Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Possible Motorgen Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027)

enkeivette 12-30-2008 03:54 PM

Just changed my vote.

BRUTAL64 12-30-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 11987)
Just changed my vote.

How do I change my vote?:huh:

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 11989)
How do I change my vote?:huh:

What do you want to change it to?

Adam, did you see my link to the 79 RX-7? Looks in pretty good shape. Probably could recoupe some money with the motor/trans?

Glenn, my brother might actually be interseted in the Celica GT as a project car. Let me talk to him. Do you have any pics or more details on its "condition"?

enkeivette 12-30-2008 05:00 PM

Eh. Not worth $1500+ IMO. But yeah, that's the idea.

Don't worry about the condition of the paint. If you don't want a show quality paint job we can scuff the paint thats on there with a scotch brite pad and shoot it the next day in your garage with some cheap 2K.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 11993)
Eh. Not worth $1500+ IMO. But yeah, that's the idea.

Don't worry about the condition of the paint. If you don't want a show quality paint job we can scuff the paint thats on there with a scotch brite pad and shoot it the next day in your garage with some cheap 2K.

Ok, I haven't looked for RX-7s, what a good target price range for a roller?

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 06:02 PM

Cheap RX7. Is this more of what you're thinking of Adam?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/971089318.html

SeanPlunk 12-30-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12004)
Cheap RX7. Is this more of what you're thinking of Adam?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/971089318.html

That looks interesting. I wonder what the curb weight would be stripped out?

big2bird 12-30-2008 07:07 PM

Look. I 'll give a hand, but keep the first one easy/simple. Mustang 2 front end stuff is avail. SBC's weigh more than stock 4/6 bangers. You need to beef it up. I see imports as a PITA, but you guys know more what's out there. Now I appreciate the HP/weight ratioo, but a built SBC will rip out a Mazda rear end. A Ford 9" will graft in a M2 fairly easily.
But, I'm all ears. Educate me, but keep it simple. CRS at 53.

big2bird 12-30-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 11973)
Apparently, if it has a "show car" registration it will be exempt from smog, but will be restricted in the number of miles it can drive, which should be fine for our purposes. However, I'm pretty sure you can put just about whatever you want in a pre 1975 and register it normally. :huh:

Correct. My next "project" vette will be a 75 or earlier. Anything goes then.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 12013)
Look. I 'll give a hand, but keep the first one easy/simple. Mustang 2 front end stuff is avail. SBC's weigh more than stock 4/6 bangers. You need to beef it up. I see imports as a PITA, but you guys know more what's out there. Now I appreciate the HP/weight ratioo, but a built SBC will rip out a Mazda rear end. A Ford 9" will graft in a M2 fairly easily.
But, I'm all ears. Educate me, but keep it simple. CRS at 53.

I totally hear you brother. I'm shooting for the best combination of doable+challenging given the human and technical resources we have available. The thing about the SBC in an RX7 or 240 is that it wouldn't be the first time. People have done it, so we can investigate and see how we can do it better or at least somehow more . . . colorfully.

As for the M2, I'm actually very interested in doing this as a future project, but with the Mitsubishi or Nissan engine. There are lots of American engines in imports, but VERY few import engines in American cars, so it's kinda more interesting, but it'd definitely be more expensive given the nature of those engines.

I have clearance from my designated spousal unit to use our large and well lit patio as a storage and work space for this project. I'd like to make a decision on direction and am leaning towards the RX7 + SBC. As you pointed out I think the most critical challenge will be the diff. What are the guys who have RX7s with LS1s running I wonder.

94cobra69ss396 12-30-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12015)
As you pointed out I think the most critical challenge will be the diff. What are the guys who have RX7s with LS1s running I wonder.

We could always swap out whatever is in it for something cheap like a Chevy 12 bolt or a Ford 8.8. You could get an 8.8 out of an Explorer from a wrecking yard fairly cheap and it comes with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12019)
We could always swap out whatever is in it for something cheap like a Chevy 12 bolt or a Ford 8.8. You could get an 8.8 out of an Explorer from a wrecking yard fairly cheap and it comes with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.

Whattaya think of an RX7 with a Ghetto-blown V8 and Ford rear end as a first project car?

94cobra69ss396 12-30-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12021)
Whattaya think of an RX7 with a Ghetto-blown V8 and Ford rear end as a first project car?

Sounds fun except for the blower. With how light that car is a roots blower isn't a good match. Either go with a high winding N/A combo or a couple of small turbos. The one advantage of the SBC is cost of parts. You can get a complete rebuild kit from Summit Racing with 11.93 compression hypereutectic pistons from under $400 which would be great for a N/A combo. If you go the blower or turbo route you'll definately want forged pistons.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12024)
Sounds fun except for the blower. With how light that car is a roots blower isn't a good match. Either go with a high winding N/A combo or a couple of small turbos. The one advantage of the SBC is cost of parts. You can get a complete rebuild kit from Summit Racing with 11.93 compression hypereutectic pistons from under $400 which would be great for a N/A combo. If you go the blower or turbo route you'll definately want forged pistons.

I like the idea of a turbo motor (cuz I want to learn about it). enkeivette suggested some old 6-71 or 8-71 off an old GM diesel. See here for more info:
http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=14

Anybody have major objections to some kind of RX7 with some kind of SBC?

joedls 12-30-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 11974)
Yes, the Mustang II.
BUT!!!! They want to put a SBC in it. That just won't do. If we want to go fast we will need a FORD motor. :drink:

I've got a forged 302 long block with E7 iron heads, roller rockers , and a custom grind roller cam set up for a blower. It has the oil pan and timing cover for the old 60s cars. The engine bearly had 5000 miles on it when I pulled it for a stroked 347.

joedls 12-30-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12031)
I've got a forged 302 long block with E7 iron heads, roller rockers , and a custom grind roller cam set up for a blower. It has the oil pan and timing cover for the old 60s cars. The engine bearly had 5000 miles on it when I pulled it for a stroked 347.

I also have a 4 speed toploader that will mate right up to it.

big2bird 12-30-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12025)
I like the idea of a turbo motor (cuz I want to learn about it). enkeivette suggested some old 6-71 or 8-71 off an old GM diesel. See here for more info:
http://motorgen.com/forum/showpost.p...6&postcount=14

Anybody have major objections to some kind of RX7 with some kind of SBC?

Other than test driving the original Mazda RX in HS, I don't know squat about them.(Still have the original 1st year brochure)
Are they unibody or frame? Morphing a car without a frame is tough. Chopping up the required room weakens them alot.
After trashing the driveline and rear, all you really have is a shell and front susp.
If it's a 75 or newer, which an RX7 is, it's gonna be a track car, since smog is totally out.
I wish Bob and I hadn't flipped his sons old race ready Vega. THAT would have been the catz azz. Stripped, tubed, tubbed, and reworked front and 9"rear.

big2bird 12-30-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12015)

As for the M2, I'm actually very interested in doing this as a future project, but with the Mitsubishi or Nissan engine. There are lots of American engines in imports, but VERY few import engines in American cars, so it's kinda more interesting, but it'd definitely be more expensive given the nature of those engines.

Wish I could find those pictures. There is a guy in Frisco with big $$$ that stuffed a Jag V-12 in the front compartment of a Corvair. Outside looked completely stock. S C R E A M E R.:laugh:

big2bird 12-30-2008 09:24 PM

That reminds me of the best sleeper I ever rode in. I had an old friend who was a mechanic in Newport Beach at the Yacht yards. He put a buick V-6 in the back of a Fiat Station Wagon. Quiet exhaust. Whenever he was challenged, he was down the street before the other guy crossed the intersection. Bill was his name. HP/weight was unreal.

big2bird 12-30-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12024)

Yep. Spot on.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 12033)
Other than test driving the original Mazda RX in HS, I don't know squat about them.(Still have the original 1st year brochure)
Are they unibody or frame? Morphing a car without a frame is tough. Chopping up the required room weakens them alot.
After trashing the driveline and rear, all you really have is a shell and front susp.
If it's a 75 or newer, which an RX7 is, it's gonna be a track car, since smog is totally out.
I wish Bob and I hadn't flipped his sons old race ready Vega. THAT would have been the catz azz. Stripped, tubed, tubbed, and reworked front and 9"rear.

They are unibody. I'm not sure how much chopping is really required in this case. :huh: Apparently show car registration allows it to be driven on the street for a limited number of miles.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12032)
I also have a 4 speed toploader that will mate right up to it.

Duly noted brother Joe. To be clear, we are talking about donations here, or really really cheap. :)

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 09:48 PM

Mmm

It seems that SBCs in RX7s are so common that there is an entire community devoted to them with a coming book and DVD!

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/

This means I'd either
a) rather do something else
b) it's gott be a little quirky, like an E85 TT V8

Continue discussion. I'll make a decision once I see all the major issues are on the table and can see a path to the best option.

SeanPlunk 12-30-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12038)
Duly noted brother Joe. To be clear, we are talking about donations here, or really really cheap. :)

LOL, true story :bigthumbsup:

joedls 12-30-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12038)

I'd be happy to donate if the car gets built.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12042)
I'd be happy to donate if the car gets built.

Numero Uno, I won't start this project til I know it can be done. Ask Sean, I get twitchy when things go slow. I can't stand not finishing things, won't happen. So rest assured on that account.

Poll options updated to reflect availability of 302 Ford.

Obviously the slam dunk is this motor in a Mustang 2, but I almost feel that's too easy.

joedls 12-30-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12043)
Numero Uno, I won't start this project til I know it can be done. Ask Sean, I get twitchy when things go slow. I can't stand not finishing things, won't happen. So rest assured on that account.

Obviously the slam dunk is this motor in a Mustang 2, but I almost feel that's too easy.

I also have a broken Holley 174 blower that could be fixed up with a couple of replacement parts, if this gets serious.

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12044)
I also have a broken Holley 174 blower that could be fixed up with a couple of replacement parts, if this gets serious.

Be sure to vote in the poll if you haven't already. :bigthumbsup:

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 12-30-2008 10:43 PM

ooooohhhhh crap y is it when you guys said rx-7 i was so thinking of the 93 and up years bwahaha oh man im trippin!!!

i think the first thing you guys need to set up is a budget or at least a budget mark and set it with a 5 grand give or take mark.

then go from there

how about we start with a basic parts bin and cars we know will fit into that parts bin *obviously mine are gonna be imports b/c its wat i know*

strong engine
-sbc
-2jz *94-up supra*
-new 4g63 *03-06 evo*
-older 4g63 *89-99 eclipse/89-90 galant*
-13b turbo *93-up rx-7
most honda motors once u build them up and it doesnt hit the wallet too hard

strong rear end
03-06 evo
89-99 eclipse
89-90 galant
93-up rx-7
94-up supra
86-89 starion
86-87 rwd corolla
99-08 wrx/legacy
510z
240sx all years
300zx

or pretty much any import with a rear LSD

strong tranny from my knowledge
94-up supra
93-up rx-7

as far as mix and matching engines to trannies i know the rx-7 tranny can be matted with a mitsu bell housing to fit an eclipse or evo engines.

and ive seen in magazines and what not people mate things to the supra tranny.

now through everyone elses ideas into those 3 catagories and lets see what the cheaper solution will be to make this cost effective

the place i think your gonna save money on is if you buy a car that already comes with a strong rear end. but a blown engine or tranny or badly running engine and tranny

ie-starion, eclipse, 240sx, 510 datsun, 86-87 corolla as far as import land are gonna be your best bets for being cheap

Vettezuki 12-30-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 12046)
ooooohhhhh crap y is it when you guys said rx-7 i was so thinking of the 93 and up years bwahaha oh man im trippin!!!

i think the first thing you guys need to set up is a budget or at least a budget mark and set it with a 5 grand give or take mark.

then go from there

how about we start with a basic parts bin and cars we know will fit into that parts bin *obviously mine are gonna be imports b/c its wat i know*

strong engine
-sbc
-2jz *94-up supra*
-new 4g63 *03-06 evo*
-older 4g63 *89-99 eclipse/89-90 galant*
-13b turbo *93-up rx-7
most honda motors once u build them up and it doesnt hit the wallet too hard

strong rear end
03-06 evo
89-99 eclipse
89-90 galant
93-up rx-7
94-up supra
86-89 starion
86-87 rwd corolla
99-08 wrx/legacy
510z
240sx all years
300zx

or pretty much any import with a rear LSD

strong tranny from my knowledge
94-up supra
93-up rx-7

as far as mix and matching engines to trannies i know the rx-7 tranny can be matted with a mitsu bell housing to fit an eclipse or evo engines.

and ive seen in magazines and what not people mate things to the supra tranny.

now through everyone elses ideas into those 3 catagories and lets see what the cheaper solution will be to make this cost effective

the place i think your gonna save money on is if you buy a car that already comes with a strong rear end. but a blown engine or tranny or badly running engine and tranny

ie-starion, eclipse, 240sx, 510 datsun, 86-87 corolla as far as import land are gonna be your best bets for being cheap

Nice job simplifying . . . :sm_up_there: :laugh:

See the first post which I update constantly with available parts donations. We have three engine/trans combos in the pipeline.

I agree with you point about the roller, one with a stout rear end would be good. The great thing about the M2 is how easy and cheap it is to set up with a Ford 8.8 or even 9" which will take massive abuse.

Personally, for the challenge and because of the kind of site we're trying to build, I'd like some mixing and matching. But that's by no means a hard rule.

As bird pointed out, easy for the first one is a good idea. It'll give us a chance to get our feet wet with this kind of thing. We can build up to more ambitious from there.

As for money, let's just somewhere between cheap and really cheap. :)

Leedom 12-31-2008 12:02 AM

I must say the thought of a iumport motor in even a M2 makes me cringe. I am all for a RX-7 with a SBC! That at least is improving the car.

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12043)

A SBC RX7 is too easy, but a Ford motor in a Mustang is almost too easy?

Don't worry about what's been done before. If it's a pop option that only means that motor mounts and headers will be available and not have to be fabbed.

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:28 AM

Why not a 302 with a 4 speed and nitrous in an RX7?

Vettezuki 12-31-2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12053)
Why not a 302 with a 4 speed and nitrous in an RX7?

That'd be fine. Wanna make it an option?

What about bird's concern about the RX7 being a unibody? Hacking and whatnot making it weaker. :huh:

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:35 AM

Also, that red RX7 would be perfect. Loves it. I can hear the monster cam already.

I think it would be cool to do some custom flares/ wide body panels in the rear (we could match the flares to whatever wide ass tire/ rim package that you can find on e-bay) & paint the car white with the orange motorgen logo on the sides. Maybe a low profile, blended in ram air tunnel on the hood?

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12054)

What about bird's concern about the RX7 being a unibody? Hacking and whatnot making it weaker. :huh:

If I'm not mistaken, Fox Bodies are also unibodies (thusss the need for subframe connectors) so unibodies are really all that's on the table.

Besides, I know a welder, his name is Ben. And although he may not realize it just yet, he has the ability to weld in steel bars to connect and reinforce the subframes of any unibody that we might encounter.

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12054)

I'm going to edit it, if you don't like it, you can put it back:

SBC in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
302 Ford in a 240sx 0 0%
SBC in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
302 Ford in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
SBC in an RX7 2 33.33%

enkeivette 12-31-2008 02:58 AM

I'm willing to bet that few people care whether were talking about a SBF in an RX7/ Datsun or a SBC. And the reality is, that if you're able to score a junkyard 454 for $100 which is a possibility, then the project will take that route, poll or no.

What's more important is what type of setup with what kind of vehicle, IMHO. Engine options can be discussed after you land the high hp/ best platform for the best price. If Joedls is going to generously offer a built SBF, f*ck the stock SBC.

Vettezuki 12-31-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12058)
I'm willing to bet that few people care whether were talking about a SBF in an RX7/ Datsun or a SBC. And the reality is, that if you're able to score a junkyard 454 for $100 which is a possibility, then the project will take that route, poll or no.

What's more important is what type of setup with what kind of vehicle, IMHO. Engine options can be discussed after you land the high hp/ best platform for the best price. If Joedls is going to generously offer a built SBF, f*ck the stock SBC.

I'm pretty jazzed. I'm gonna sleep on it and make an executive decision.

big2bird 12-31-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12059)
I'm pretty jazzed. I'm gonna sleep on it and make an executive decision.

The "spirit" of hot rodding goes back to the Model T. Taking a general purpose car, and making it lower, wider, faster, safer, lighter, and of course more fun. Pursue the spirit. It never died.:bigthumbsup: