Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Painting (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789)

big_G 01-03-2009 05:54 PM

How many guys do you have to help you?..I'm slow..it takes me at least an hour just to mask off for paint. If you're gonna get it all done in a day you better be up before dawn....:smack:

P.S. Get 3, maybe 4 good full coats of clear and then wet-sand with 2000. Keep away from the edges and you'll be fine. If any doubts, pay someone to cut and buff. It will look so much better.

big2bird 01-03-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 12423)

P.S. Get 3, maybe 4 good full coats of clear and then wet-sand with 2000. Keep away from the edges and you'll be fine. If any doubts, pay someone to cut and buff. It will look so much better.

G. How long should the clear harden first? A week?

big_G 01-04-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 12440)
G. How long should the clear harden first? A week?

It depends on temperature mostly. You can wet-sand the next day. For polishing, I like to wait about 3 days. Do it too soon and you will probably get some die-back of the gloss. You can buff around the door handle, mirror and antenna areas the next day so you can start assembly.

enkeivette 01-04-2009 11:55 AM

I will likely be giving the clear more than a week to harden. This week is zero hour for me, next week is law school. So Thursday and Friday I'll put her back together and give her a nice detail so she is driveable again. Then it's off to law school. So the cut and buff wil happen whenever I get around to it.

I don't have anyone helping me in the morning as of yet. Bill will show up at around 11am, he has a doctors apointment that morning. So I'll get this started all by myself, unless someone wants to volunteer to help mask.

big_G 01-04-2009 01:40 PM

Be careful with the time before wet-sanding, as the clear gets much harder to wet-sand the longer you wait. You might have to get more aggressive with the sandpaper, maybe 1500. Then go to 2000. G/L with school.

kameleongt 01-05-2009 11:38 PM

Gl with this be sure to post some pics :)

enkeivette 01-06-2009 11:31 PM

UPS just f*cked me tonight, promised that they'd have my gun here by today...

So I asked Art, KameleonGT if he could hook me up tomorrow morning. And he lent me his Sata instead, which is actually better than the gun that I bought. He saved the day big time. Now I'm good to shoot tomorrow.

Pray for me.

SeanPlunk 01-07-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12833)
UPS just f*cked me tonight, promised that they'd have my gun here by today...

So I asked Art, KameleonGT if he could hook me up tomorrow morning. And he lent me his Sata instead, which is actually better than the gun that I bought. He saved the day big time. Now I'm good to shoot tomorrow.

Pray for me.

That Art is a good guy :drink:

BRUTAL64 01-07-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12833)
. He saved the day big time. Now I'm good to shoot tomorrow.

Pray for me.

Pray????????:smack:
You'll do fine.:drink:

kameleongt 01-07-2009 05:10 PM

for shizzil :) im sure it will come out great :)

keithc 01-07-2009 08:48 PM

Any pics yet??

enkeivette 01-07-2009 11:25 PM

Well I didn't paint the car today, here's what happened. Got it in the booth, masked it all off, mixed up the sealer and sprayed it on. After the second coat I could still see sanding scratches and even some waves (after days and days of guide coat/ block sanding) I was so bummed. Almost decided to take the car home for another coat of surfacer. But, I showed the head painter at this shop, and he recommended that I just block wet sand it with 600 grit.

So, I did. I sprayed a third coat of sealer, then I spent 5 hours in the booth wetsanding (thank God my friend came to help) and I removed all of the larger sanding scratches and a lot (if not all) of the waves.

Here's my question, can I spray color right over the wetsanded (600 grit) epoxy sealer? Or will I see scratches? I was told that I would not see 320 grit scratches through the sealer and... I did! So, will 600 grit scratches show through the paint?!

I'd rather shoot right over the sanded sealer. Before 600 sanding, there was a lot of orange peel. Now there's no peel, obviously. PPG recommends that you mix 4:2:1, IMO you can use a lot more reducer than that. At the end of the night just doing burn through touch ups, I mixed it 2:1:1 and it went on much smoother. I would like to try even more reducer.

enkeivette 01-07-2009 11:27 PM

I go back in tomorrow morning btw. After some touch up sanding and cleaning, it's color time. :afro:

big_G 01-08-2009 06:04 AM

320 grit will show thru the sealer. We wet-sand the primer surfacer with either 500 or 600 grit prior to sealer or base-coat. Very important on metallics, not so much on solid single stage top-coats.

enkeivette 01-08-2009 07:46 PM

I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?

Vettezuki 01-08-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13085)
I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?

Just show up with it Saturday, and post pics after. That way we can think about it till then. :)

Leedom 01-08-2009 08:53 PM

At least give us all a taste.