Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   '72 Mach 1 Tranny Swap (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185)

BRUTAL64 11-07-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 8381)
It fires up and as soon as my dad just lets go of the key it dies. A guy here at work thinks it might be the ballast resistor on the ignition system.

Yep, that is my first thought too. Does it have a resistor wire instead or ballast resistor? Next check that you are getting voltage to coil with the key in the on (run) position not the start position.

I take it you are still runnig points. Change the condenser if all the rest checks out.

You can run a 12v wire to the coil (+ side) to test. Only for a few seconds, plenty of time to see if it runs.

If you can't get it to run, get my phone number from Ben or Sean and give me a call.

Check PM.

Leedom 11-07-2008 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advise Glen. I am going to to be working on the car with my dad tomorrow and if we have problems I will give you a ring.

Leedom 11-08-2008 05:53 PM

Ok, we checked all our wires and connections and took a look at the balast or what I think is the balast and it all loks good. We are still confused.You guys see anything in these pics?

BRUTAL64 11-10-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 8411)
Ok, we checked all our wires and connections and took a look at the balast or what I think is the balast and it all loks good. We are still confused.You guys see anything in these pics?

Ok, what happened this week-end? Did you get it to run?

What I see is MSD. That is NEVER a good thing.:leaving:

BRUTAL64 11-11-2008 04:36 PM

Well, what happened?? Do you need me to come out and start it for you?:sm_laughing:

silvertermi04 11-11-2008 08:32 PM

My dad has a red 72 but i ran the vin# and it looks like it was a cheapy model. It came with a 302 not the 351, It does have the 9 inch rear end. We bought it cheap but its missing some stuff like the front chin spoiler the grill is craked hhhmm the interior is in bad shape and some other stuff ill try posting pics of it as well later on.

94cobra69ss396 11-11-2008 09:34 PM

I believe the instructions tell you to bypass the ballast resistor.

BRUTAL64 11-12-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 8567)
I believe the instructions tell you to bypass the ballast resistor.

Yea, MSD states to by pass the ballast resistor. But, the MSD will fire if not under 9 volts. When I talked to Adam, what he told me makes me think it's the classic MSD box problem. I could be wrong since I haven't looked at it. It's just having had to get dozens of people fired after being stranded by the MSD boxes failing I'm kinda NOT a MSD type of guy.:sm_up_there:

94cobra69ss396 11-12-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 8597)
Yea, MSD states to by pass the ballast resistor. But, the MSD will fire if not under 9 volts. When I talked to Adam, what he told me makes me think it's the classic MSD box problem. I could be wrong since I haven't looked at it. It's just having had to get dozens of people fired after being stranded by the MSD boxes failing I'm kinda NOT a MSD type of guy.:sm_up_there:

Me either although that is what I have on the Chevelle and the Cobra. I originally had all Mallory on the Chevelle which I loved but the Comp 9000 went out and the only thing that I could replace it with was the MSD so I did. Then the box went out so I replaced that with an MSD. I regret not ordering the Mallory stuff and just waiting for it to be shipped.

BRUTAL64 11-12-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 8604)
Me either although that is what I have on the Chevelle and the Cobra. I originally had all Mallory on the Chevelle which I loved but the Comp 9000 went out and the only thing that I could replace it with was the MSD so I did. Then the box went out so I replaced that with an MSD. I regret not ordering the Mallory stuff and just waiting for it to be shipped.

There is ONE good thing about MSD. When the box goes out they have a flat rate to fix it. Last time I checked it was $60.00. No matter what is wrong with it. Wonder why that is??????:crutches::sm_laughing: