Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Paint Pics 2 (C3) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074)

94cobra69ss396 01-09-2009 09:25 AM

Great job Adam. It looks great, especially for your first time. I've never painted a car (the spray can paint on the Chevelle doesn't count) but I remember my dad painted a Vega that he had. It took him 8 times before he managed to get it even close to what you just did the first time. Nice job!:hail:

joedls 01-09-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13102)
Ya, it should come out fine. Fortunately you can't even see it unless you get on your knees and look. Since it's on the underside of the fender.

Great job!!!

If you catch someone on their knees looking at the underside of your fender, kick them in the ass while they're down there.

enkeivette 01-10-2009 03:24 PM

Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light. :cool:

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic. :D

kameleongt 01-10-2009 04:13 PM

car looks great the tinted light looks good did you test for amount of light that goes past all those layers of paint?

enkeivette 01-10-2009 04:51 PM

Yeah, it's probably dark enough to get in trouble but they look sick. It was the least amount of candy that I could use to get them to look jet black. They look tinted red till they're installed. I'll take a pic at night when I get a chance.

mybad79 01-10-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13209)
They look tinted red till they're installed.

They look a LOT darker once they're on the car don't they ???

Great job on the paint - looks better than mine..... now I'll go back to 220 grit ... :D :D:D

SeanPlunk 01-10-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 13207)
Sorry that I couldn't make it today guys, had to reshoot something... ask me later. But it still looks sick, like liquid sex. I added more pics to the OP, and one of my tinted light. :cool:

Going to link this thread in a few forums to steal some traffic. :D

What happened, did you re-shoot that fender with the clear run?

enkeivette 01-11-2009 01:34 AM

Bill walked past the car with his paint can opener hanging off his belt loop... Need I say more? :yikes:

We had to mask the entire car, sand down the whole panel and reshoot. It's a perfect match though, you'd never know which panel it was even if I told you. We used the same paint (same match, same conditions) so I lucked out... if you want to look at it that way.

The clear run is no big deal. After the paint hardens for a month it'll color sand out. The car needs to be color sanded any how.

Before:

After colorsanding:

Vettezuki 01-11-2009 09:28 AM

Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?

enkeivette 01-11-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13218)
Are clear runs like that kind of typical, or was that just a little boo boo you had to deal with?

I'm sure pro guys rarely do it, if at all. But as long as the run is in the clear, not the color or the base, it will sand out easily. So it's just not a big deal. I had one run in the pearl, so I had to let it dry for a bit, sand it out with 800, then it was good to go. Sandpaper will fix all.

There are 4 coats of clear, and more coats of clear than base is typical, so this would be most common during the clear stage any how.

If we do the blue pearl over white for the RX, I'll need to steal some paint to practice on my surfboard. Pearl over white is the hardest to do, and this blue pearl would be much, much more transparent than my black pearl. Ergo, it will be much harder not to make it look blotchy. I'll probably just dust it on back and forth a few times for each coat till it barely gets wet, as opposed to getting it wet with one stroke. That's how I did the candy black on the tail lights.