Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Engine Related (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054)

94cobra69ss396 01-13-2009 10:22 AM

Didn't I read on that V8 RX7 site that we needed a dual sump pan from a fox body like I have on the Cobra? If so, I might be able to get a stock one for free.

Vettezuki 01-13-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13410)
Didn't I read on that V8 RX7 site that we needed a dual sump pan from a fox body like I have on the Cobra? If so, I might be able to get a stock one for free.

Ah, yes you did.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showth...Sump#post12160

Can you take a peak at the K member and see if it can be swung 180? We have an FC, not an FB and that may not be possible.

94cobra69ss396 01-13-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13411)
Ah, yes you did.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showth...Sump#post12160

Can you take a peak at the K member and see if it can be swung 180? We have an FC, not an FB and that may not be possible.

That was info for a Gen 1 though and we have a Gen 2. I'll research it some more and see if I can find out.

BRUTAL64 01-13-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13408)
Thanks for the heads up bird. What's Top's though?

Tops Auto Supply--brookhust and lincoln, Anaheim. Been using them for many many many years.:bigthumbsup:

94cobra69ss396 01-13-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13412)
That was info for a Gen 1 though and we have a Gen 2. I'll research it some more and see if I can find out.

Granny's Speed Shop sells the crossmember to fit the 5.0 in the car but it's almost $400 and it does use the Fox body style oil pan. I think we'll just need to get a Fox body pan and then we can make our own cross member. Here's what their cross member and transmision support for a T5 look like.

Vettezuki 01-13-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13414)
Granny's Speed Shop sells the crossmember to fit the 5.0 in the car but it's almost $400 and it does use the Fox body style oil pan. I think we'll just need to get a Fox body pan and then we can make our own cross member. Here's what their cross member and transmision support for a T5 look like.

Would the T5 Trans Crossmember likely work for our Toploader?

94cobra69ss396 01-13-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13417)
Would the T5 Trans Crossmember likely work for our Toploader?

I don't think so but I'm not sure. I'm assuming that the mount would go closer to the engine than it does with the T5 but that's just a guess. I know that when I put the T56 in the Cobra the trans cross member had to be moved back. We can make one though so I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy Joe that helped with the main hoop is excited about the project and wants to be involved. He has everything we need to make the cross members and wants to help.

Vettezuki 01-13-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 13418)
I don't think so but I'm not sure. I'm assuming that the mount would go closer to the engine than it does with the T5 but that's just a guess. I know that when I put the T56 in the Cobra the trans cross member had to be moved back. We can make one though so I wouldn't worry about it. My buddy Joe that helped with the main hoop is excited about the project and wants to be involved. He has everything we need to make the cross members and wants to help.

Done. You guys can make the cross members. :bigthumbsup: Get him on board here and if he's a driver and wants to run it down the track, he's certainly contributing plenty. :bigthumbsup: While we're at it, I imagine fabbing up some delrin motor mounts could be done as well. :huh:

Vettezuki 01-13-2009 11:11 AM

Flywheel

We need a flywheel. I'm assuming just an iron unit would be best, not only for cost, but because they rarely explode like aluminum ones do and we probably could get away without a scatter shield. :sm_up_there: Maybe just a kevlar blanket, though I have no idea how expensive those are. Don't want anybody losing toes.

BRUTAL64 01-13-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13420)
We need a flywheel. I'm assuming just an iron unit would be best, not only for cost, but because they rarely explode like aluminum ones do and we probably could get away without a scatter shield. :sm_up_there: Maybe just a kevlar blanket, though I have no idea how expensive those are. Don't want anybody losing toes.

No scatter shield?? In the early 80's at Shoemaker--a 65 Mustang lined up against a 69 Camaro. The Mustang reved it up, dropped the clutch and BAM-- cut the car nearly in half and broke a girls arm 150 ft away. The flywheel exploded. You WANT a scatter shield.:judge:

Mcleod is the one for new and they are local--ask for George.