Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Engine Related (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054)

94cobra69ss396 03-12-2009 10:41 PM

I've been working on the motor mounts this week after work and almost have them done. I just need to re-angle the one on the passenger side because I had the drivers side a 1/4 inch lower than the passenger side when I made the mount so the angle is just slightly off. I just need to cut the base plate and reweld it and then paint them both.

I also had to move the engine forward from where I had it originally because the rack and pinion wouldn't clear the oil pan and the engine was too high. I moved it forward so that the back of the engine is exactly the same distance from the firewall (2.5 in.) as it is in my Cobra. That means I also have to redo the trans crossmember because it is too far back. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow while I'm working on it and post them up.

Ben, I'm hoping to have everything finished tomorrow night so that I can bring the car back to you on Saturday. Are you going to be around?

Vettezuki 03-12-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17726)
. . . Ben, I'm hoping to have everything finished tomorrow night so that I can bring the car back to you on Saturday. Are you going to be around?

Yes. That'd be fantastic. I've gotta leave outta here about 3:45, that's all. Thanks again Ron for your mountain of work.

94cobra69ss396 03-12-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 17727)
Yes. That'd be fantastic. I've gotta leave outta here about 3:45, that's all. Thanks again Ron for your mountain of work.

Your welcome. Hopefully the engine placement will be good. I also measured the trans on the Cobra because of how far forward the shifter mount on the top loader is compared to the hole in the floor of the Rx-Snake. It turns out the T56 in the Cobra and the top loader are the same distance. So we are just going to have to modify the floor in the car if it is too far off.

SeanPlunk 03-12-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17729)
Your welcome. Hopefully the engine placement will be good. I also measured the trans on the Cobra because of how far forward the shifter mount on the top loader is compared to the hole in the floor of the Rx-Snake. It turns out the T56 in the Cobra and the top loader are the same distance. So we are just going to have to modify the floor in the car if it is too far off.

Hey Ron,

Long time no talk. How are you? How is your wife, and how are the girls? I hope all is well! I just wanted to check with you to see if you guys still wanted to go off roading on the 21st? If you still want to go, let me know and I'll add it to the calendar :bigthumbsup:

Sean

94cobra69ss396 03-12-2009 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 17731)
Hey Ron,

Long time no talk. How are you? How is your wife, and how are the girls? I hope all is well! I just wanted to check with you to see if you guys still wanted to go off roading on the 21st? If you still want to go, let me know and I'll add it to the calendar :bigthumbsup:

Sean

Definately put it on the calendar. Phil and I went out to run TDS last weekend and he ended up breaking his FJ not only once but twice. The first time the crossbrace for the transfer case broke and it happened on the first hill climb. Luckily because it was a huge event there were a lot of vendors there and BFG had a welder. It's a good thing all Phil buys are BFG M/T's for his trucks! It only took us about 1.5 hours to drop the brace, get it welded and put back in. Then later in the afternoon he broke a birfield joint on another hill climb. I like it a lot better when our trucks aren't the ones breaking. :bang:

SeanPlunk 03-12-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17732)
Definately put it on the calendar. Phil and I went out to run TDS last weekend and he ended up breaking his FJ not only once but twice. The first time the crossbrace for the transfer case broke and it happened on the first hill climb. Luckily because it was a huge event there were a lot of vendors there and BFG had a welder. It's a good thing all Phil buys are BFG M/T's for his trucks! It only took us about 1.5 hours to drop the brace, get it welded and put back in. Then later in the afternoon he broke a birfield joint on another hill climb. I like it a lot better when our trucks aren't the ones breaking. :bang:

WOW, that's crazy. I can totally see you and Phil welding while on the trail though :D

94cobra69ss396 03-12-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 17733)
WOW, that's crazy. I can totally see you and Phil welding while on the trail though :D

We didn't even have to weld it. The BFG guy did it.:thumbs_up: Phil did give him a $10 tip though.

94cobra69ss396 03-13-2009 07:50 PM

I'm done! Sorry it took so long. Ben, I'll load the car up tomorrow morning and bring it over. Should be somewhere around noon time.

Here are some pictures of the motor mounts.

Vettezuki 03-13-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17798)
I'm done! Sorry it took so long. Ben, I'll load the car up tomorrow morning and bring it over. Should be somewhere around noon time. . .

Fantastic Ron! Don't forget the pan and I'll see you tomorrow. :drink:

94cobra69ss396 03-13-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 17799)
Fantastic Ron! Don't forget the pan and I'll see you tomorrow. :drink:

I already removed it and it's in the car. I also left the trans bolted up and just used a tie down to hold it up.

SeanPlunk 03-13-2009 10:03 PM

Ron, that's simply incredible work, it looks amazing :hail: :hail: :hail:

Leedom 03-13-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

I'm done! Sorry it took so long. Ben, I'll load the car up tomorrow morning and bring it over. Should be somewhere around noon time.

Great job Ron. I think we owe him a meal or something. If nobody else springs for it I will.

Can you say tight fitting over the Rack!

94cobra69ss396 03-13-2009 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 17808)
Great job Ron. I think we owe him a meal or something. If nobody else springs for it I will.

Can you say tight fitting over the Rack!

Thanks Adam but no need. I'm just helping out where I can.

I placed the engine as far back and as low as I could with leaving enough room to clear the rack. There is only about a 1/4 inch. I also wanted to make sure that the engine sat low enough that it would clear the stock hood if it had the engine from my Cobra in it. With the position of the engine in the Rx-Snake the hood line is about 1/2 inch closer to the engine than it is in my Cobra. I also mirrored the distance from the bell housing to the firewall to the Cobra so that the clearance between the engine and firewall was the same which was 2 1/2 inches.

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 03-16-2009 11:08 PM

Oh man those are some seriously solid mounts. So my idea for Delrin bushings went out the window. Can we change the name of the car to thumper?

Hey great work though :drink:

Vettezuki 03-17-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon (Post 18018)
Oh man those are some seriously solid mounts. So my idea for Delrin bushings went out the window. Can we change the name of the car to thumper?

Hey great work though :drink:

I had another idea for a project car; a street legal Gen II Camaro, flat black with an Ace of Spades on the side that would naturally play Motorhead on infinite loop. Maybe we could call that Thumper. :smack:

Let's finish this one first though. ;)

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 03-17-2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 18020)
I had another idea for a project car; a street legal Gen II Camaro, flat black with an Ace of Spades on the side that would naturally play Motorhead on infinite loop. Maybe we could call that Thumper. :smack:

I'm in... Can the Gen II be my car. It fits....

Who would win in a fight? Lemmy or God? Trick question a$$ hole, Lemmy is God. :smack:

Vettezuki 03-17-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon (Post 18025)
I'm in... Can the Gen II be my car. It fits....

Who would win in a fight? Lemmy or God? Trick question a$$ hole, Lemmy is God. :smack:

Well project cars are a kind of community property until sale, where the proceeds go to the next project car. But I was thinking that at time of sale, any Motorgen user who has put some blood sweat and tears into said project car could buy it for a well below market price, but with a "gentlemen's agreement". But we'll see, that's a ways off still.

Anywho, Jim Norton (comedian) has some pretty funny stories about Lemmy. Apparently the guy lives of speed and "barely legal" poo-nanny.

enkeivette 03-17-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

:nuts:

Death Cult Aaronmageddon 03-17-2009 09:24 AM

I don't know if I said it earlier but that is some seriously good work. Very very nice. :)

BRUTAL64 03-17-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 18020)

:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::censored:

I really like the second gen "F" body stuff. Great cars to work with. Strong and easy to make handle up to 1G. Can get to 1.25g with more work. So much aftermarket stuff................plus all the WS6 from the T/A.

I've built 4--2 of them for myself.

BRUTAL64 03-17-2009 02:12 PM

I might be gone for awhile. They are changing computers here at work.:(

BRUTAL64 03-24-2009 04:13 PM

http://www.superchargerusa.com/b&m.htm

Have you tried these guys?

Have I already asked this?

Vettezuki 03-24-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 18639)
http://www.superchargerusa.com/b&m.htm

Have you tried these guys?

Have I already asked this?

Yes I tried them. They said send it in and they'll me a quote. Boooh. We're going to laser it and mill our own from billet. . . I think.

BRUTAL64 03-24-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 18644)
Yes I tried them. They said send it in and they'll me a quote. Boooh. We're going to laser it and mill our own from billet. . . I think.

OK. Just lookin out.:drink:

big2bird 03-24-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 18644)

Add an RX Snake logo to the front. What the hell.:hail:

Vettezuki 03-25-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 18649)
Add an RX Snake logo to the front. What the hell.:hail:

On our billet piece? Good idea. It really wouldn't be much more mill time and sure as heck would add a "wow" factor.

Vettezuki 03-25-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 18645)
OK. Just lookin out.:drink:

Word. You never know when I (we) might have missed an opportunity.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 03-25-2009 12:38 PM

damn those are some i dont give a fuck about in car vibration mounts haha just the way it should be from the factory haha!

looks like this car is coming along pretty nicely!

big2bird 04-01-2009 02:43 PM

Hey Ben,
I have a good used radiator out of John's C-5. Think that would work/fit? Let me know. You can have it.:nuts:

BRUTAL64 04-01-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 19373)
Hey Ben,
I have a good used radiator out of John's C-5. Think that would work/fit? Let me know. You can have it.:nuts:

You are just a wonderful guy!:bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 04-01-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 19373)
Hey Ben,

By golly let's take a look see. I can pick it up or you can drop it off whenever is convenient for you. Many thanks to you and John.

big2bird 04-01-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 19382)
By golly let's take a look see. I can pick it up or you can drop it off whenever is convenient for you. Many thanks to you and John.

I'm stuck here all day. If you can swing by, that would be great. If you can wait, I might be able to come by there this weekend.

Vettezuki 04-01-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 19388)
I'm stuck here all day. If you can swing by, that would be great. If you can wait, I might be able to come by there this weekend.

I'll be doing some body work with my brother tonight. We'll work it out one way or another this weekend. :bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 04-17-2009 12:56 AM

Pulled the internals with Ron on Monday in preparation for cutting valve reliefs, and re-balancing. I'll need to get a flywheel first. This is just in a holding pattern at the moment while I keep other things rolling and pool some cash.

BRUTAL64 04-17-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 20618)
Pulled the internals with Ron on Monday in preparation for cutting valve reliefs, and re-balancing. I'll need to get a flywheel first. This is just in a holding pattern at the moment while I keep other things rolling and pool some cash.

Do you need a fund raiser?:drink:

Vettezuki 04-17-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 20642)
Do you need a fund raiser?:drink:

Yeah maybe. Though your idea of a fund raiser worries me a lil' bit. Too bad CI doesn't do Ford or maybe we could propose a little sponsorship.

BRUTAL64 04-17-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 20671)
Yeah maybe. Though your idea of a fund raiser worries me a lil' bit. Too bad CI doesn't do Ford or maybe we could propose a little sponsorship.

If you do a 2gen Camaro next, I can get you discounts.:thumbs_up:

I'm talking Fund Raiser/Party. Hell, if 100 people put in $20.00 --- You would have........................$75.00.:smack:

Vettezuki 04-17-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 20676)
If you do a 2gen Camaro next, I can get you discounts.:thumbs_up:

I'm talking Fund Raiser/Party. Hell, if 100 people put in $20.00 --- You would have........................$75.00.:smack:

You must work for the government part time. :smack: It's a great idea, although it's difficult to get 100 people to show up anywhere without free beer. Then to get them part with $20 would be the next challenge. ;) Most would come, drink $5 in beer and leave a $3 donation. :smack:

A 2nd Gen Camaro is high on the list for future projects. But I got a tingle in my pants to do an old 240z with 2JZ. :drive: We'll see. One at a time.

BRUTAL64 04-20-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 20679)
You must work for the government part time. :smack: It's a great idea, although it's difficult to get 100 people to show up anywhere without free beer. Then to get them part with $20 would be the next challenge. ;) Most would come, drink $5 in beer and leave a $3 donation. :smack:

A 2nd Gen Camaro is high on the list for future projects. But I got a tingle in my pants to do an old 240z with 2JZ. :drive: We'll see. One at a time.

Think WET T-shirt contest.:drink:

BRUTAL64 04-20-2009 04:47 PM

About the 240Z. I just remembered a girl I was "seeing" tried to GIVE me a 240Z without engine and trans. This was in 1996. I had EVERYTHIING laying about to build a V8 240Z. I've always wanted to do it.

Now that would make a KILLER road car.:drink: