Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Engine Related (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054)

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 01:35 AM

BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

joedls 01-12-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13285)
BTW, unless I'm a total crack head (possible) and incapable of using a tape measure, the engine will have to swtich from a front to rear sump setup. What parts can be kept (pan?) and what needs to change (pickup?)?

That's it. The pan and the pick-up.

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13175)
Glenn, did you say you had a carb that could be used, or know where we could get one that would be appropriate on the cheap? I'm assuming we could get a used one, and somebody here could rebuild it and set it up for our purpose.

What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going.:) I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.:judge:

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13294)
What I said was, I'm sure we could find a Holley somwhere we could use to get things going.:) I do have a 500 CFM Carter laying around. That's half of what we need.:judge:

I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?

joedls 01-12-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13313)
I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist/eBay for a 750 Holley with 4 corner idle set. My understanding is that since the carb goes on top of the blower, it's a "pull through" not a "blow throw" setup and there's effectively no advantage to a "blower carb". Am I thinking correctly?

Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.

Vettezuki 01-12-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13318)
Not exactly. The power valve will not operate correctly without referencing manifold vacuum/boost, causing the engine to run rich during normal operation. Both Holley and Demon has a carb for roots style blowers.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. I need to make sure I can get this blower functional before we go purchasing a carb for it.

Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

joedls 01-12-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 13319)
Roger. I'll put the carb acquisition into a holding pattern until you give clearance. Can you post pics of the parts that are needed? I think you said shaft housing and end plate. I'll do some rooting around and see what I can find.

I'll take some pics tonight when I get home.

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13318)

Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb. :drink:

joedls 01-12-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 13333)
Years ago, we were able to get Holleys to work with Roots Blower. This was long before there were "blower" carbs. It is still pull thru as with a NA motor. But I've heard that Blower Carbs are easier to tune for roots. Haven't used one.

The last Roots steet car I built 1990 had a BM and I used a 750 Double pumper and it ran great, no over richness when I tuned the carb. :drink:

Yeah, we used to have distributors with points in them, too. Doesn't mean I still wanna do it.

BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!! :rolling::rolling::rolling:

BRUTAL64 01-12-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 13343)
BTW, Glen, you're an old man!!! :rolling::rolling::rolling:

You say that here, but can you say that to me in person????:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Actually points are a VERY reliable way to go.:judge: