Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Time For The Cobra To Get A New Engine - The 347 Build (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43136)

94cobra69ss396 12-31-2012 04:50 PM

I pulled the upper intake off and tested the injectors with a tester I made. They all worked fine. Then I pulled the valve covers and checked all the springs, rockers and pushrods and they were all fine too. So I'm going to put it all back together and see how it runs after tuning.

Here's the tester.

94cobra69ss396 01-02-2013 02:37 PM

Thanks to Guy we will be getting our cars tuned this Friday.

Shaolin Crane 01-02-2013 09:49 PM

:thumbs_up:
Did you prefer 9am or 1pm? He hasn't confirmed fridays time yet. If we go early we sit in traffic on the way there, if we go late we sit in traffic on the way back.

94cobra69ss396 01-03-2013 10:55 AM

I prefer 1pm.

Shaolin Crane 01-03-2013 12:48 PM

Sounds good

94cobra69ss396 01-05-2013 10:35 AM

Well I have good news and bad news. First, the good news. The Cobra made 56 rwtq more than it did with the old engine even though Steve stopped the pull at 4000 rpms. He stopped it because the AFR went below 10:1 as soon as he went full throttle. So even with a very rich and short pull it still made 56 more tq. The biginning of the bad news is that the chip I have is Autologic and can no longer be programmed. So I have to buy a new chip so Steve can tune the car. Since I don't have the money to buy it now I'm going to have to wait for the tune.

The rest of the bad news is that Steve also says that the vibration is a balance issue and not the tune or a misfire. He hook up a scan tools and monitored everything and says the engine is running great. So I'll be calling CHP on Monday and see how they want to procede but the engine is going to have to come back out and torn back down.

Guy also had issues but I'll let him update them on his thread. However, Steve also made a pull on his and cut it off early as well. I think he cut it off at around 4800 when the supercharger belt slipped but by 4000 he was already making 10psi of boost. With our short runs I think he made 2 rwhp more than me and I made 22 rwtq than him.

Shaolin Crane 01-05-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 109213)
Well I have good news and bad news. First, the good news. The Cobra made 56 rwtq more than it did with the old engine even though Steve stopped the pull at 4000 rpms. He stopped it because the AFR went below 10:1 as soon as he went full throttle. So even with a very rich and short pull it still made 56 more tq. The biginning of the bad news is that the chip I have is Autologic and can no longer be programmed. So I have to buy a new chip so Steve can tune the car. Since I don't have the money to buy it now I'm going to have to wait for the tune.

The rest of the bad news is that Steve also says that the vibration is a balance issue and not the tune or a misfire. He hook up a scan tools and monitored everything and says the engine is running great. So I'll be calling CHP on Monday and see how they want to procede but the engine is going to have to come back out and torn back down.

Guy also had issues but I'll let him update them on his thread. However, Steve also made a pull on his and cut it off early as well. I think he cut it off at around 4800 when the supercharger belt slipped but by 4000 he was already making 10psi of boost. With our short runs I think he made 2 rwhp more than me and I made 22 rwtq than him.

He ran it to 4200 WOT and it kept spinning to 4500, I found out I have a throttle cable issue.

94cobra69ss396 01-08-2013 08:18 AM

I forwarded the email I received from Steve stating that the vibration is due to an imbalance to CHP yesterday asking what our next steps are and haven't received anything back yet. I'm going to give them until noon and then I'll call them.

Shaolin Crane 01-08-2013 08:20 AM

Interested to see what they have to say about Steve's information.

94cobra69ss396 01-08-2013 02:01 PM

I spoke to Eric at CHP today and they want me to try a shouldered pressure plate bolt to make sure that the pressure plate is centered and not the cause of it. The reason is because the holes drilled in the RPM flywheel are just a hair too big for the factory Ford dowel pins. So when I put mine together I used my digital caliper to line the pressure plate up and then used loctite on the dowels. I let it dry overnight and then double checked and they were still centered. They think that might be the cause and want me to try the shouldered bolts first before tearing the engine back out. So as soon as I have time and get the correct part number from them for the bolts I'll pull the trans and and give it a try. I hope that's it but I don't think it is.