Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   94cobra69ss396's Explorer V8 Conversion (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31089)

Damian 12-23-2011 01:41 AM

Thats a nicer kit than I got!

94cobra69ss396 12-23-2011 08:35 AM

The one I bought was made by Trans Dapt. Summit had one that was their own brand that was $25 cheaper and it came with hose clamps but I didn't trust a hose clamp with supplying my engine with oil. When I added an external oil cooler to the Cobra I used AN fittings instead of hose clamps too. It cost me about $50 more than it would have if I had just used hose clamps but I don't have to worry about a clamp coming loose.

Shaolin Crane 12-23-2011 09:10 AM

I would never use hose clamps for engine oil, or any type of oil for that matter.

94cobra69ss396 12-23-2011 09:22 AM

The stock external transmission cooler on the Explorer came from Ford with hose clamps and I'm going to use it on mine.

Damian 12-23-2011 11:06 AM

I just doubled up on the hose clamps and didnt have anymore issues.

94cobra69ss396 12-23-2011 05:57 PM

No pictures today because I didn't have much time to work on it. I did manage to bolt the torque converter tot the flexplate, connect all the harnesses for the trans, install the shift linkage, install the starter and fix some corroded wiring. I also found that's it's so much easier to install the starter without all the IFS crap in the way.

94cobra69ss396 12-27-2011 06:36 PM

Got more done today. I finished installing the injectors, upper intake, egr and sensors, and the TB. I also installed the drivers side accessories so I could see how much room I was going to have for the power steering lines and mock up lines to be made. I will only have to have a high pressure line made because I was able to cut and bend the low pressure line. Tomorrow I'll go to The Hose Man and have the line made.

Getting closer.

Here's the mocked up high pressure line. It's the one with the hose clamps on it.

The green arrows point to the low pressure hose and hard line and the yellow arrow points to the high side line that I bent to crap fitting it where I wanted.

Shaolin Crane 12-27-2011 08:56 PM

You should have told me the intake was going to be black, i would have powdercoated it while i had it. Are you keeping the a/c? And if so when do you want me to charge it?

94cobra69ss396 12-27-2011 10:42 PM

Yes, I'm keeping the AC. Once I have it running I will still need to wire the blower motor before doing the AC. Eric's truck had climate control and mine doesn't so his has more wires for the blower motor than mine. Once I figure out the wiring and have it all working I get with you to charge the system. I want to get it BAR certified first, then do the transfercase and then move on to the blower motor. But I have to get it running frist, lol.

Shaolin Crane 12-27-2011 11:31 PM

Just let me know when so i can track down some r12