Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Bringing her back online (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65791)

Vettezuki 03-05-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 139103)
Who's doing your cam?

I'll ask Troy who the actual grinder is. He spec'd it, but not sure FPS is the cam grinder.

Vettezuki 03-05-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 139103)
Who's doing your cam?

He said SLR, whoever they are. I can ask more when I pick it up if you have any questions. Basically just waiting for pistons now.

So it looks like
Gaskets: MLS Stock
Pistons: Mahle -4cc forged
Rods: RPM H-Beam forged
Bearings: King
Lifters: LS7
Cam: custom grind billet done by SLR, basically 114LSA mid 220 +- durations
Springs: matched to final cam and lifters
Rockers: keeping stock
Fasteners: FPS

Bore/hone
Pressure test for heads
Head touch up/valve work
Resurfacing
Internal Balancing
Assembly

Don't have final prices all in yet,but I'm guessing all parts and labor, machine work etc. is probably in the $2,500 +- $300 range.

I'm *guessing* with the tiny increase in displacement, the drop in CR, the difference in cam, that my power will be basically the same, around 390WHP, but a MUCH tougher engine and probably smoother after all the balancing and blue printing.

My nightmare scenario is missing something like a hairline fracture in a liner that pops right away. But he says everything is looking ok at the moment.

Ryridesmotox 03-18-2015 11:23 PM

The machinist will be able to see any cracks or anything in the liners. A good machinist should be fairly thorough there. They don't want their work coming back broken or have a bad build associated with their shop. My machinist completely blasted everything and checked every little nook and cranny for an issue. He gave the green light for it. Yours would have told you already if they found something amiss, I'm sure of it.

Vettezuki 03-18-2015 11:29 PM

That's reassuring. He's sure taking his time. ;) Hopefully I'll get it back this Friday.

Ryridesmotox 03-18-2015 11:31 PM

I'm still waiting in my rotating assembly. You're will be back on the road before mine... At least there is that, lol

Vettezuki 03-20-2015 11:36 AM

Theoretically I should have the engine by the end of the day. Fingers crossed.

Vettezuki 03-20-2015 07:12 PM

Picking up tomorrow morning. New cam, though almost identical, necessitated new push rods, and for some reason the lifters weren't on the invoice so he'll have to pick up both of those in the morning and finish the assembly. I did get a bunch of pics while there today, so I'll post those later.

Vettezuki 03-21-2015 01:44 PM

Got the engine back today. Yeah! It ended up more than I hoped, but I went from a heads and cam with stock internals, thrashed cam, worn lifters to a forged rods and pistons, touched up heads, new cam, new lifters, new push rods, etc. etc. all parts and labor, plus zinc additive for "break in" sequence at just under $3,500, so not too bad.

Shaolin Crane 03-21-2015 03:25 PM

*waits for motorgen luck"

Ryridesmotox 03-23-2015 07:42 AM

Not to bad price wise at all. Whatever you do, do NOT run a synthetic for break in. Run a standard mineral based oil. My builder has already cautioned me a few times about that. A synthetic can glaze the cylinder walls and not allow the rings to seat properly.